Monday, November 24, 2008

Verse of the Day 11/24

Through the Bible -Ezekiel 32-34, 1 Peter 3

Good morning,

The N.T. reading above has moved into the letters written by Peter. The NKJV Commentary states that "the Christians of Asia Minor who had received this (1st) letter from Peter had discovered that a life lived for God is often a life of many difficulties. Some of their problems came from their neighbors, while some came from government authorities. (Sound familiar?) Peter wrote to these Christians to encourage them, to explain to them why suffering occurs, and to remind them of their eternal reward at the end of this earthly life." We still need those things today.

This weekend's verse was from Psalm 51 where David was "rebounding" after having blown it. Peter too was someone who had blown it. He had denied His Lord three times. As we start into Peter's letters, I thought we'd start with a couple of verses from Luke where Jesus prepares Peter for his (Peter's) failures with words of encouragement.

Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." NKJV
or from The Message:
Luke 22:31-32 "Simon, stay on your toes. Satan has tried his best to separate all of you from me, like chaff from wheat. Simon, I've prayed for you in particular that you not give in or give out. When you have come through the time of testing, turn to your companions and give them a fresh start."

Regarding these verses the great 19th century preacher Charles Spurgeon wrote, "The point of Satan's chief attack on a believer, then, is his faith. Observe, secondly, the peculiar danger of faith: "That thy faith fail not." That is the danger,-not merely lest it should be slackened and weakened, but lest it should fail. And then observe, thirdly, the believer's grand defence: "I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not."
Spurgeon continues, "All the other graces within us derive strength from our faith. If faith be at a low ebb, love is sure to burn very feebly. If faith should begin to fail, then would hope grow dim. Where is courage? It is a poor puny thing when faith is weak. Take any grace you please, and you shall see that its flourishing depends upon the healthy condition of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. To take faith away, therefore, would be to take the fountain away from the stream; it would be to withdraw the sun from his rays of light. If you destroy the source, of course that which comes out of it thereupon ceases. Therefore, beloved, take the utmost possible care of your faith, for I may truly say of it that out of it are the issues of life to all your graces."

Think of the words to the song quoted last week "Somebody's Praying Me Through". Do you think about it a little differently?

Sometimes after we've blown it, we feel that we can never be used again that the fire has gone out. You may even know someone that looks that way. Looks can be deceiving. If you've been around campfires you've seen wood in the fire that looks gray and dull, no sign of fire. You may blow as long as you like on cold coals to no effect. But what happens if there is still some warmth and you get down on your knees and gently blow on it. The surface ashes fall away and the flame can be rekindled. That's the image of Christ praying for Peter and meeting with Peter and the disciples in John 21, that they wouldn't go back to fishing, but instead, feed Jesus' lambs, His sheep. The words of Peter in these letters are still doing so today.

I was reminded of the song "Breathe on Me"

Over and over I've come to this place
Missing the mark I need Your embrace
Thumbing through pages of healing and hope
Tell me again these words that I know
I long for Your Spirit to flow and rush through the depths of my soul

Chorus:
Breathe on me the words of wisdom to the heart of a seeker calling Your name
Breathe on me, You can melt away these clouds of confusion over my head
Sweep this distance away, pull me close to Your face
Surround me with Your gentle holy breeze, breathe on me

You are the one constant love in this life
Faithful and true tested by time
Just like a child I'm secure in Your arms
Far from my fears and near to Your heart
You know where my faith has been, whisper assurance again

Breathe on me.



In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
Luke 22:31-35

Jesus Predicts Peter's Denial

(Matt 26:31-35; Mark 14:27-31; John 13:36-38)

31 And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren."

33 But he said to Him, "Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death."

34 Then He said, "I tell you, Peter, the rooster shall not crow this day before you will deny three times that you know Me."


NKJV

No comments: