Monday, November 24, 2008

Verse of the Day 11/25

Through the Bible - Ezekiel 35-36, 1 Peter 4

Good morning,

Today we're going to do something that I don't think I've done before, go back to the same verses as the day before for the VOTD. There is just so much there to consider.

Satan had asked God if he could "sift" Peter. Have any of you ever used a sieve? You shake back and forth up and down. Consider what it would be like to be in the sifter. Being bounced side to side, up and down , constant commotion and confusion, heading in one direction while not truly having any control of what direction you are heading. Perhaps most importantly, no time to rest, no peace and no breathing space.

Have you been there? Consider the next days for the disciples, they would definitely feel the sifting action. But again, notice here what Jesus does for Peter, He lets him know what's coming, prays for him, and gives him instruction for the other side, when he has come through it, when he has returned. We need a friend, a faithful friend to see us, to pray us through.

Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." NKJV
or from The Message:
Luke 22:31-32 "Simon, stay on your toes. Satan has tried his best to separate all of you from me, like chaff from wheat. Simon, I've prayed for you in particular that you not give in or give out. When you have come through the time of testing, turn to your companions and give them a fresh start."

Now take a look at what Jesus tells Peter to do once he has returned, strengthen your brethren, your companions. Having fallen, and then being restored we should also have compassion and try to strengthen others who may be struggling with our own types of weaknesses whatever they may be.

Peter, the "Rock" would deny his Saviour. Spurgeon writes, "Peter must have staggered his brethren. Some of them must have been quite frightened at him. John soon looked after him, but then they were not all Johns. Full of love, John soon hunted up Peter; but the others must have felt that he was a mere reed shaken by the wind. It must have staggered the faith of the weaker sort to see that Peter, who had been such a leader among them, was among the first to deny his Lord. Therefore, Peter, you must build what you have thrown down, and bind up what you have torn! Go and talk to these people again, and tell them how foolish and weak you were. Warn them not to imitate your example. You must henceforth be more bold than anybody else, that you may in some measure undo the mischief which you have done."
He continues, "he should say, "Lord, I will show how much I thank thee for restoring me, by endeavoring to find any that have been overtaken in a fault, that I may restore such in the spirit of meekness, remembering myself also, since I have been tempted, and have not stood against the temptation." Those of you whom the Good Shepherd has restored should have a quick eye for all the sickly ones of the flock, and watch over these with a sympathetic care. You should say, "This is the field which I shall try to cultivate. Because in my spiritual sickness the Lord has been pleased to deal so graciously with me, I would therefore lay myself out to cherish others who are diseased in soul."

A friend sent the following in response to yesterday's devotional, Colin Smith gives a great reminder again of how we need to “renew our minds” if we are to understand and grow our faith in Him. “The length of time you wait is an expression of the value you place on the person you are waiting for. How long would you be prepared to wait for God?”

Another question would be, how long has He been waiting for you?

He was reminded of the song by Selah - Faithful One

The faithful one

I find no hope within to call my own
For I am frail of heart, my strength is gone
But deep within my soul is rising up a song
Here in the comfort of the faithful one

I walk a narrow road through valleys deep
In search of higher ground, on mountains steep
And though with feet unsure, I still keep pressing on.
For I am guided by the faithful one.

Faithful, faithful to the end,
My true and precious friend,
You have been faithful,
Faithful, so faithful to me

I see your wounded hands, I touch your side
With thorns upon your brow you bled and died
But there's an empty tomb, a love for all who come
And give their hearts to you, the faithful one.

Faithful, faithful to the end,
My true and precious friend,
You have been faithful,
Faithful, so faithful to me

And when the day is dawned and when the race is run
I will bow down before God's only Son
And I will lift my hands in praise for all you've done
And I will worship you, my faithful one


If Jesus is praying for you as He did for Peter, don't you think that the Father will answer His prayer?

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net

Luke 22:31-35

Jesus Predicts Peter's Denial
(Matt 26:31-35; Mark 14:27-31; John 13:36-38)

31 And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren."

33 But he said to Him, "Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death."

34 Then He said, "I tell you, Peter, the rooster shall not crow this day before you will deny three times that you know Me."


NKJV

No comments: