Monday, November 3, 2008

Verse of the Day 11/3

Through the Bible - Jeremiah 39-41, Hebrews 2

Good morning,

Last night (as I write this) I was moved to tears when the Children's Choir of Africa, a group of children from Daraja Kenya performed at St. Marks Church. The children were orphans, mostly from parents that had died from aids/HIV. St Marks is partnering with them, planning to raise $50,000 of support for the missions project to "bring hope to the hopeless and strength to the weak".

One of the first songs that they sang was "Everlasting God" by Chris Tomlin which is based on Isaiah 40 where we go for today's verse.

Isa 40:29 He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
And the young men shall utterly fall,
31 But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint. NKJ



Notice that it is He, God who gives power to the weak, often working through Christians and Christian organizations such as the 410 Bridge. It is God that does it, not government.

I had often thought of this verse in terms of God helping the weak, those going through difficult times, illnesses, or tragedies such as car accident's in our son Jeff's case. I've seen Him give strength in many ways. But I had not thought of it in terms of children in Africa suffering in poverty because their parents had died because of aids.

What brought me to tears was when a young black man sang the Chris Tomlin version of "Amazing Grace" .

Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed

My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing grace

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below
Will be forever mine
Will be forever mine
You are forever mine


Once again, I had previously thought of this song in terms of "my chain's" of sin being gone. I had thought of it before in relation to slavery. I had not thought of it before in terms of orphans and aids. Through Christ, these kids had been given strength by God, had been given wings to fly from Kenya to Burlington NC, given strength to dance to the Lord. God did this through the Holy Spirit working through Christians, working through churches, working through organizations to restore lives. It wasn't government doing this.

Yesterday I was moved in another way as Obama said that the republicans were "being selfish" in not wanting to be taxed more by the government so that they could give to those that the government saw fit to give it out to, many of whom do not earn $40,000 in taxable income. How many drug dealers who benefit from putting kids in chains as a result of drug addiction would apply? How much would go to organizations such as Planned Parenthood to sponsor abortions and strive against parental notification of a planned abortion in the case of minors?

I feel that Obama just doesn't get it, he doesn't understand conservative, small town Americans. Those still "clinging to their guns and religion" as he had spoke out against in the Democratic primary are primarily the same people who he is now calling selfish.

What do you give? Where do your gifts go? What do they, have they accomplished through your church and other organizations, locally, nationally and across the world?

Where did schools and hospitals come from in the first place if not from Christians giving, often out of their own poverty to help others.

May Obama learn something of God's amazing grace and see, acknowledge how it is at work in our nation and throughout the world. May he be man enough to realize his error in judgement and apologize for such a statement.

Regardless of what happens in the election on Tuesday, let us as Christians lead by example in reaching out to the weak, those who have stumbled and fallen. Let us "wait upon the Lord", serve him, and do it in such an amazing way that no one could deny that "Jesus Christ is Stronger" than any of our weaknesses.

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net


Isa 40:25-41:1

25 "To whom then will you liken Me,Or to whom shall I be equal?" says the Holy One. 26 Lift up your eyes on high,And see who has created these things,Who brings out their host by number;He calls them all by name,By the greatness of His mightAnd the strength of His power;Not one is missing.
27 Why do you say, O Jacob,And speak, O Israel:"My way is hidden from the Lord,And my just claim is passed over by my God"? 28 Have you not known?Have you not heard?The everlasting God, the Lord,The Creator of the ends of the earth,Neither faints nor is weary.His understanding is unsearchable. 29 He gives power to the weak,And to those who have no might He increases strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,And the young men shall utterly fall, 31 But those who wait on the LordShall renew their strength;They shall mount up with wings like eagles,They shall run and not be weary,They shall walk and not faint.
NKJV

No comments: