Friday, November 7, 2008

Verse of the Day 11/7

Through the Bible - Jeremiah 49-50, Hebrews 6:13 - 7:10

Good morning,

For today's verse we'll continue with some thoughts on the importance of God's Word in our lives, more specifically the kind of effect it should have upon our "walk".
We'll turn to Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible that is all about God's Word, basically from A-Z. If you didn't know it, the psalm is broken up in sections of 8 verses, each verse in the section would start with the same Hebrew letter of the alphabet.

Today's verse begins the psalm:
Ps 119:1 Blessed are the undefiled in the way,
Who walk in the law of the Lord!
2 Blessed are those who keep His testimonies,
Who seek Him with the whole heart!

(or from THE MESSAGE)
Ps 119:1-2 You're blessed when you stay on course,
walking steadily on the road revealed by God.
You're blessed when you follow his directions,
doing your best to find him.

In verse one we see "walk in the law", I'm reminded of the radio program "Walk in the Word".

Quoting form Wednesday's "Today in the Word" ( available at www.todayintheword.com)" Bible scholar William Dumbrell suggests that "Torah" (law) means "direction for life within the framework of a presupposed relationship". In other words the Bible's view of the law focuses on how we can live life the way that God intended within the context of our relationship with Him.
In the first half of the chapter you will find that God's law, his commands, strengthens (v.28), delights (v.35), comforts, renews life (v.50) and preserves (v.88)."


Frederick Beuchner writes, "When you learn God's Law - God's Word, it's truth, you carry it with you, you carry Him (or He carries you) wherever you go."

Which brings me to "Trust and Obey" which I know that I've referred to many times. I'll post the first verse. If you know more, sing them in your heart or out loud, even if doing so "would make the dogs howl" as a friend recently said happens when he does so.

Trust And Obey

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
To be happy with Jesus, but to trust and obey.


Why would you neglect, or choose to ignore something that can do so much for you?

Read the first 16 verses below, and may you be able and willing to say, as verse 16 ends "I will not neglect your word".

Ps 119:15 I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word. NIV



In Christ,
Mike

Ps 119:1-17

Aleph

119:1 Blessed are they whose ways are blameless,who walk according to the law of the Lord. 2 Blessed are they who keep his statutesand seek him with all their heart. 3 They do nothing wrong;they walk in his ways. 4 You have laid down preceptsthat are to be fully obeyed. 5 Oh, that my ways were steadfastin obeying your decrees! 6 Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands. 7 I will praise you with an upright heartas I learn your righteous laws. 8 I will obey your decrees;do not utterly forsake me.
Beth

9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. 10 I seek you with all my heart;do not let me stray from your commands. 11 I have hidden your word in my heartthat I might not sin against you. 12 Praise be to you, O Lord;teach me your decrees. 13 With my lips I recountall the laws that come from your mouth. 14 I rejoice in following your statutesas one rejoices in great riches. 15 I meditate on your preceptsand consider your ways. 16 I delight in your decrees;I will not neglect your word. NIV

No comments: