Friday, November 14, 2008

Verse of the Day - weekend 11/8

Through the Bible - Jeremiah 51-52, Hebrews 7:11-28

Good morning,

I was told of a bumper sticker which read "God said it, I believe it, that settles it". Sounds good, but I wouldn't agree with the "theology" of it. It should be said God said it, that settles it" you could then add that I believe it. There is way too much out there today that falls in the first category, without God ever saying it. God Word is not bound or limited by what we think of it.

For today's verse we'll return to Psalm 119 to a passage which speaks of God's Word as being "boundless". Think about that for a minute and then read the verses.

Ps 119:96 To all perfection I see a limit;
but your commands are boundless. NIV


There is a limit to what we can comprehend, but God has no such limits.


When I think of the word "boundless" I first think of the root "bound", I think of a book being bound. This leads me to think of my main Bible, a gift from my son Jason that goes everywhere. The binding is falling apart, but God's Word is not bound in my Bible, it has penetrated my mind and heart and goes with me.

God's Word may be bound but it's reach is limitless in time, distance, and in power. Think of some of the verses we've looked at over the last few days. "The Word is living and active" (Heb. 4:12), living in us wherever we go....if we know it!.

Think of some of the verses here in the psalms "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light to my path" Ps. 119:105. To guide us we have to read it, know it, meditate, think about what it says and apply it to our lives.

Phil 2:15-16 You are to live clean, innocent lives as children of God in a dark world full of people who are crooked and stubborn. Shine out among them like beacon lights, 16 holding out to them the Word of Life. TLB

Read the 17 verses from Psalm 119 below as an act of or in preparation for worship this weekend.

In Christ,
Mike

Ps 119:89-106

Lamedh

89 Your word, O Lord, is eternal;it stands firm in the heavens. 90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations;you established the earth, and it endures. 91 Your laws endure to this day,for all things serve you. 92 If your law had not been my delight,I would have perished in my affliction. 93 I will never forget your precepts,for by them you have preserved my life. 94 Save me, for I am yours;I have sought out your precepts. 95 The wicked are waiting to destroy me,but I will ponder your statutes. 96 To all perfection I see a limit;but your commands are boundless.
Mem

97 Oh, how I love your law!I meditate on it all day long. 98 Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,for they are ever with me. 99 I have more insight than all my teachers,for I meditate on your statutes. 100 I have more understanding than the elders,for I obey your precepts. 101 I have kept my feet from every evil pathso that I might obey your word. 102 I have not departed from your laws,for you yourself have taught me. 103 How sweet are your words to my taste,sweeter than honey to my mouth! 104 I gain understanding from your precepts;therefore I hate every wrong path.
Nun

105 Your word is a lamp to my feetand a light for my path. NIV

No comments: