Thursday, February 12, 2009

Verse of the Day 2/12

Through the Bible - Leviticus 10-12, Matthew 26:57-75
 
Good morning,
A while back I walked into a customers warehouse.  The smell, the aroma of the place brought me back to my first job.  It smelled exactly like the storage room of the store that I worked at.  I had not thought about what the old place smelled like, but as soon as I walked through the door my mind brought me back there in a flash.  I am sure that we've all had similar experiences.
 
For today's verse we'll go to Matthew 26 where Mary annoints Jesus for burial, with fine perfume, which must have had a strong, unique aroma.
Matt 26:12 She has poured this perfume on me to prepare my body for burial. 13 I tell you the truth, wherever the Good News is preached throughout the world, this woman's deed will be remembered and discussed."      Holy Bible, New Living Translation
 
In yesterday's devotional I noted that, "Seeing the need, with a heart of compassion, willing to help, in spite of what others may think, that's mercy."  Mary demonstrated this here.  She probably did not even know what she was doing, but she felt compelled to do it for her Master in spite of the ridicule that she faced.  Jesus praised her for it and it is still talked about until this day.
 
Think for a moment about the aroma.  Do you think that anyone present there would remember the incident each time they caught a "waft" of that aroma, wherever, whenever it would occur?  It was a strong perfume, poured on Jesus feet.  Do you think it stayed with Him, remained even as He was on the cross?
Do you think it could have been etched in the minds of those who were there with Him at the cross?  The images to be renewed each time they noticed that particular aroma?
 
Acts of mercy may not involve an actual "aroma", but they will be etched in the minds of the recipients, and to those who witness the act firsthand.  Often times they will be talked about for years to come; sometimes for generations.  The Apostle Paul could relate to acts of kindness this way:
Phil 4:18 Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God. NKJV
If you feel compelled today to show an act of kindness, mercy, or compassion may you be encouraged to follow through on it in spite of how others may feel.  It just may be create a sweet smelling "aroma" to the person, and well pleasing to God.
 
I know that I've shared it before, but I'm reminded of the song "Make Me a Blessing".  I wont post all of the words here today, but here are a few lines.  "Out in the highways and byways of life, many are weary and sad.  Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife, making the sorrowing glad.  Make me a blessing O Saviour I pray, make me a blessing to someone  - today.   If you know them sing them in your heart or out loud today.  May the song and the Holy Spirit guide you, inspire you to be a blessing today.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Matt 26:6-14
Jesus Anointed at Bethany
6 Meanwhile, Jesus was in Bethany at the home of Simon, a man who had previously had leprosy. 7 While he was eating, a woman came in with a beautiful alabaster jar of expensive perfume and poured it over his head.
8 The disciples were indignant when they saw this. "What a waste of money," they said. 9 "It could have been sold for a high price and the money given to the poor."
10 But Jesus, aware of this, replied, "Why criticize this woman for doing such a good thing to me? 11 You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me. 12 She has poured this perfume on me to prepare my body for burial. 13 I tell you the truth, wherever the Good News is preached throughout the world, this woman's deed will be remembered and discussed."

Holy Bible, New Living Translation

No comments: