Saturday, February 28, 2009

Verse of the Day - weekend 2/28

Through the Bible - Numbers 25-28, Mark 8:22- 9:50
 
Good morning,
This morning we'll stay with the theme of finding rest in God by turning to Psalm 23.  I've gone to Psalm 23 several times over the years in VOTD but I don't believe I've quoted these verses.
 
I remember when our three kids were little, very little, that they loved playing outside in our big yard.  Often times it was hard for Jean to get Laurie and Jason to take naps (with Jeff it didn't seem to be a problem).  We, most often Jean, would have to try to force them to take naps.  If they didn't take one by the time supper time came around they would be tired.  There were several times, (we have pictures to prove it), that Jason would fall asleep in his macaroni and cheese or spaghetti.
 
Sometimes, as Christians, we can be much like those kids, being so busy that when it comes to be fed we are ready to fall asleep, and miss out on the spiritual nourishment that we so desperately need.
 
Ps 23:2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.   
NKJV
or from the NLT
Ps 23:2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.

It's a peaceful picture.  I'm reminded of time spent in the mountains next to quiet streams and beaver ponds up in the mountains with God's Word in hand when I read those words.
I'm also reminded of times where it might have been an illness or an injury that God used to force me to slow down to get rest.  This rest is not only for our physical bodies, it is for our soul, for the core of our being. 
 
You will notice from the beginning of the psalm, in the NLT that the Lord "let's me rest, leads me, renews me, and guides me". all these things " for His name's sake", that we remember Him and just who He is.
 
I read the following poem in "The Daily Bread" devotional the other day.
 
The quiet times we spend with God
In solitude and prayer
Will strengthen and restore our souls
And help us sense His care.
 
How has your work week been?  Do you need to sense His care?  Spend some time this weekend in His Word and in prayer. Be fed, be nourished, be joyful in your heart, and praise Him for it this weekend.
 
Don't forget to read the last line of the psalm below,  " Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life", may we all be aware of and feel this being "pursued by God".
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 23:1-24:1
 
23 1 The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.   NLT

No comments: