Saturday, February 21, 2009

Verse of the Day - weekend 2/21

Through the Bible - Leviticus 4-9, Mark 5:21-43
 
Good morning,
How often do you step back and think of what God's Word means to you, what it does to and for you?
For today's verse we'll go to Psalm 19, a chapter which focuses on these topics.
 
Ps 19:7 The instructions of the Lord are perfect,
reviving the soul.
The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.
8 The commandments of the Lord are right,
bringing joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are clear,
giving insight for living.   NLT

Have you gone through times in your life, perhaps even now, when you were downcast?  God's word is able to "revive the soul".  It's something that can lift us from deep down and set us on the rock or in a broad place as we read in other psalms.
 
In reading this psalm you will notice that it is laid out with precision.  It is something that must have taken some thought from someone who was devoted to God's Word.   Let's take a look.
 
In verses 7-8 we see the attributes, the characteristics of God's word - His Word is - perfect, trustworthy, right and clear.
 
In verses 9-11 we see what appreciation of the Word, knowing that - it is clean and endures, it is true and puts us in right standing before God (righteous), it is more precious than gold and sweeter than honey, in keeping it there will be great reward.
 
In verses 12-14 we see what listening to God's Word, applying it to our lives will do - it will help us to understand our mistakes (sins) and cleanse us from them,  it will keep us from commiting deliberate sins and prevent them from taking control of us, that we may be blameless and innocent of great transgressions - "crossing the line".
 
The words of the psalm are offered as a sacrifice of praise as we see in the closing of the chapter:
Ps 19:14-20:1
 
14 May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to you,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.  NLT
 
Meditate on these verses this weekend.  Sing songs of praise to God this weekend for His enduring Word.
 
May the Words of My Mouth
 
May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart
Bless Your name, bless Your name, Jesus
And the deeds of the day and the truth in my ways
Speak of You, speak of You, Jesus
For this is what I'm glad to do
It's time to live a life of love that pleases You
And I will give my all to You
Surrender everything I have and follow You
I'll follow You
Lord, will You be my vision, Lord, will You be my guide
Be my hope, be my light and the way
And I'll look not for riches, nor praises on earth
Only You'll be the first of my heart
I will follow
I will follow
I will follow You

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ps 19:7-20:1
 
7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul;The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; 8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; 9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold,Yea, than much fine gold;Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. 11 Moreover by them Your servant is warned,And in keeping them there is great reward.
12 Who can understand his errors?Cleanse me from secret faults. 13 Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins;Let them not have dominion over me.Then I shall be blameless,And I shall be innocent of great transgression.
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heartBe acceptable in Your sight,O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.

NKJV

No comments: