Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Verse of the Day 2/4

Through the Bible - Exodus33-34, Matthew 23:1-22
 
Good morning,
It's hard to leave yesterday's verses about loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself without considering the verse which follows.
 
Matt 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."   NKJV

Everything in the Old Testament and into the New Testament in some way depends on these two commandments, to love our God and to love our neighbor.
 
John Piper writes, "it is overwhelming because it seams to demand that I tear the skin off my body and wrap it around another person so that I feel I am that person; and all the longings that I have for my own safety and health and success and happiness I now feel for that person as though he were me.
It is an absolutely staggering commandment.  If this is what it means, then something unbelievably powerful and earthshaking and reconstructing and overturning and upending will have to happen in our souls.  Something supernatural."  It is something beyond us.
Do you know of anyone that fits that description?
 
The Old Testament reading from yesterday was from Exodus 32, where we go for today's verse.   It is a staggering statement made by Moses on behalf of his people.
Ex 32:31 Then Moses returned to the Lord and said, "Oh, these people have committed a great sin, and have made for themselves a god of gold! 32 Yet now, if You will forgive their sin — but if not, I pray, blot me out of Your book which You have written."   NKJV

Moses had a heart for God and a heart for his people.  God's response was basically no, I won't blot you out , " Now go, lead the people".
 
This kind of desire for our "neighbors" is rare but not impossible.  We see it also in Paul in the New Testament.
Rom 9:2 My heart is filled with bitter sorrow and unending grief 3 for my people, my Jewish brothers and sisters. I would be willing to be forever cursed—cut off from Christ!—if that would save them.  NLT.

What kind of change would result in our lives, in our homes, in our churches, in our country.... if we had a heart like that.  Oh, that we would.
I'll close with a benediction from Paul to the church in Ephesus in Ephesians 3:
Eph 3:16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.  NLT
 
If you have some time today, read Exodus 33 and Moses encounter with God.  We may sing the song "Show Me Your Glory", this was Moses cry from a heart with a love for God and his neighbor.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ex 32:30-33:1
 
Moses Intercedes for Israel
 
30 The next day Moses said to the people, "You have committed a terrible sin, but I will go back up to the Lord on the mountain. Perhaps I will be able to obtain forgiveness for your sin."
 
31 So Moses returned to the Lord and said, "Oh, what a terrible sin these people have committed. They have made gods of gold for themselves. 32 But now, if you will only forgive their sin—but if not, erase my name from the record you have written!"
 
33 But the Lord replied to Moses, "No, I will erase the name of everyone who has sinned against me. 34 Now go, lead the people to the place I told you about. Look! My angel will lead the way before you. And when I come to call the people to account, I will certainly hold them responsible for their sins."
 
35 Then the Lord sent a great plague upon the people because they had worshiped the calf Aaron had made.  NLT

No comments: