Friday, February 20, 2009

Verse of the Day 2/20

Through the Bible - Leviticus 2-3, Mark 5:1-20
 
Good morning,
In yesterday's devotional in Mark 13 we read the words "take heed, watch and pray".  For today's verse we'lll back up, or rewind if you will, to Mark chapter 4 where Jesus tells us "take heed what you hear".
 
Mark 4:24 Then He said to them, "Take heed what you hear. With the same measure you use, it will be measured to you; and to you who hear, more will be given.  25 For whoever has, to him more will be given; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him."   NKJV
or from the NLT
Mark 4:24 Then he added, "Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given—and you will receive even more. 25 To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them."

To "take heed", as the NLT incicates is to pay close attention to what you hear, listen closely, remember it, and most importantly apply it.
When you see the word "devotional" it's obvious that it stems from the word devotion.  Think about that word, what it means to you and what it means about your relationship to Christ and others.  To be devoted means being dedicated, consecrated or set apart for someone or something, being loyal, being loving, and being faithful.
 
In these verses we see that we are to have that kind of regard for Jesus and the Word of God.  Study, listen to His teaching, apply it.  As we do so we will be given even more.  The flipside is, if we don't do this, if we neglect God and His Word, we will drift.  As we do our understanding, the application of God's Word in our live will as well and Jesus says here our understanding of God will be taken from us.  What a dreadful thought.
Many verses and passages can and should come to mind as you consider this.   Think of John 15 and the Vine and the Branches, the thought of abiding in Christ and He in you.
 
Regarding "with the same measure"  John MacArthur writes, "The spiritual results which the disciples realized were to be based on the amount of effort they put forth; they would reap as they had sewn.  The one who has learned spiritual truth and applied it diligently will receive even more truth to faithfully apply."
 
John 15:9-12  Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father's commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow!   NLT
As I thought about this earlier this morning, a song of devotion came to mind.
 
Take My Life And Let It Be
 
Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.
 
Take my voice, and let me sing always, only, for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect, and use every power as Thou shalt choose.
 
Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.


May that be our attitude today, as we read, study and apply His word, showing devotion to Him.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Mark 4:21-26
 
Parable of the Lamp
 
21 Then Jesus asked them, "Would anyone light a lamp and then put it under a basket or under a bed? Of course not! A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light will shine. 22 For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open, and every secret will be brought to light. 23 Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand."
 
24 Then he added, "Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given—and you will receive even more. 25 To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them."
 


 

No comments: