Monday, April 20, 2009

Verse of the Day 4/20

Through the Bible - 1 Samuel 29-31, Luke 18:35-19:10
 
Good morning,
Have any of us ever said a prayer like the following one from yesterday's NT reading?   'Oh, God, I thank you that I am not like other people — robbers, crooks, adulterers, or, heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income.'   It is the prayer of a pharisee in Luke 18.  It reveals personal pride and self justification, traits that are, too often, easy to come by in today's society and in the church.
 
Today's verses show us the prayer of humility, not thinking too highly of ourselves but admitting our guilt before God, seeking His mercy and forgiveness.
 
Luke 18:13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'  14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."      NKJV
or from the Message
Luke 18:13-14 "Meanwhile the tax man, slumped in the shadows, his face in his hands, not daring to look up, said, 'God, give mercy. Forgive me, a sinner.'"
Jesus commented, "This tax man, not the other, went home made right with God. If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face, but if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself."

The verses reveal the need to be "simply yourself", be honest with yourself and to God, humble yourself and He will lift you up.
 
John MacArthur comments, "The tax collector's humility is notable in everything about his posture and behavior.  Here was a man who had been made to face the reality of his own sin, and his only response was abject humility (not excuses) and repentance.  He contrasts the Pharisee in virtually every detail.  God be merciful.  He had no hope but the mercy of God.  This is the point to which the law aims to bring every sinner."
 
Here are a couple of other verses that we can consider for today.
 
1 John 1:9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts.  NLT
 
Paul shows us the penitant, repentant heart in his letter to Timothy.
 
1 Tim 1:15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.    NKJV
 
Listen to Paul's exhortation to the Corinthian church.
 
2 Cor 13:5   Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. - The Message
Examine and test yourself before God today.
 
Ps 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
24 And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.    NKJV


In Christ,
Mike
 
Luke 18:9-15
The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.  11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself,'God, I thank You that I am not like other men — extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.  12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.'  13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'  14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

NKJV

No comments: