Thursday, April 9, 2009

Verse of the Day 4/9

Through the Bible - 1 Samuel 1-2, Luke 13:1-21
 
Good morning,
This morning is another one of those where I had a verse and passage in mind but will end up quoting from a passage I read this morning.
 
We read in several places in the Scriptures that we will face loss, disappointment, rejection, and even ridicule in this life.  It's nothing new.  Sometimes these experiences in our lives may last for days or years.  What may be new is the way we handle the next circumstance.
 
Reading through the Old Testament guide above for the last few days I've read of Ruth and Naomi and this morning Hannah.  Both faced heartaches, whether from the loss of loved ones, income and status or facing the ridicule of being barren at a time when having a child and heir was so important in society.
In each of these instances God revealed that He was and had been with them.  That He had a plan for them.  All three characters mentioned were blessed.  God was faithful.  They had been faithful to God.
Today's verses come from 1 Samuel 2 which is today's O.T. reading.  Hannah has been blessed with a son, Samuel who she would dedicate to the Lord.
 
1 Sam 2:1 Then Hannah prayed:
"My heart rejoices in the Lord!
The Lord has made me strong.
Now I have an answer for my enemies;
I rejoice because you rescued me.
2 No one is holy like the Lord!
There is no one besides you;
there is no Rock like our God.    NLT
 
Hannah praised God for being her "Rock".  In our fast paced world of sudden change, where circumstances change and friends come or go, we need a rock and a firm foundation for our faith.  We find it in the person and power of Jesus Christ.

Samuel would go on to be the last Judge of Israel, a great and faithful leader.  From the lineage of Boaz and Ruth from yesterday's reading would come King David and ultimately, Jesus, the Messiah.
Obviously, God had a plan for them.  God has a plan for you.
 
I'll close with a verse from Psalm 31 and a quote from Charles Spurgeon regarding that verse.
 
Ps 38:21 Do not forsake me, O Lord;
O my God, be not far from me!   NKJV

Let it be your prayer today, "Do not forsake me, O Lord! Father, do not forsake Your child--lest he fall by the hand of the enemy. Shepherd, do not forsake Your lamb--lest he wander from the safety of the fold. Great Gardener, do not forsake Your plant--lest it wither and die! Do not forsake me now, O Lord! And do not forsake me at any moment of my life. Do not forsake me in my joys--lest they absorb my heart. Do not forsake me not in my sorrows--lest I murmur against You. Do not forsake me--for my path is dangerous, and full of snares--and I cannot travel without Your guidance. Do not forsake me--for without You I am weak--but with You I am strong. Do not be far from me, O Lord, for trouble is near--and there is none to help. Leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation!"  - Charles Spurgeon

"Hold me up--and I shall be safe!" Psalm 119:115

 

In Christ,

Mike

 

1 Sam 2:1-11

2 And Hannah prayed and said:
"My heart rejoices in the Lord;My horn is exalted in the Lord.I smile at my enemies,Because I rejoice in Your salvation.
2 "No one is holy like the Lord,For there is none besides You,Nor is there any rock like our God.
3 "Talk no more so very proudly;Let no arrogance come from your mouth,For the Lord is the God of knowledge;And by Him actions are weighed.
4 "The bows of the mighty men are broken,And those who stumbled are girded with strength. 5 Those who were full have hired themselves out for bread,And the hungry have ceased to hunger.Even the barren has borne seven,And she who has many children has become feeble.
6 "The Lord kills and makes alive;He brings down to the grave and brings up. 7 The Lord makes poor and makes rich;He brings low and lifts up. 8 He raises the poor from the dustAnd lifts the beggar from the ash heap,To set them among princesAnd make them inherit the throne of glory.
"For the pillars of the earth are the Lord's,And He has set the world upon them. 9 He will guard the feet of His saints,But the wicked shall be silent in darkness.
"For by strength no man shall prevail. 10 The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken in pieces;From heaven He will thunder against them.The Lord will judge the ends of the earth.
"He will give strength to His king,And exalt the horn of His anointed."

NKJV

No comments: