Sunday, April 26, 2009

Verse of the Day - weekend 4/26

Through the Bible - 2 Samuel 12-16, Luke 21
 
Good morning,
Do you ever stop and think of all of the defense systems that are in place all around us?  Air force jets in the skies, the Navy and Coastguard on the seas, the Army ready to mobilize on command, missile defense systems guarding against missile attacks.   On our computers most of us have some kind of anti virus protection, a protective shell that is there to keep internet "hackers" at bay.   Most of this is not visible to us on a daily basis.  Hopefully we are thankful that it is there.  What would happen without it?
 
This weekend's verse comes from Psalm 34 and gives us a picture of this in a spiritual sense.
 
Ps 34:6 This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.  
NIV
or from the NLT
Ps 34:6 In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened;
he saved me from all my troubles.
7 For the angel of the Lord is a guard;
he surrounds and defends all who fear him.

God's presence around the nation of Israel and around King David, did not prevent every enemy attack but God was with them when they would call upon Him.  However, there were times when they ignored Him, did not feel that they needed Him, or needed to seek His counsel.  In times like these He was not always with them but left them to their own devices.
 
It can be that way in our lives as well.  If we are in a relationship with Christ, He is with us.  We may not be free from attacks, the loss of loved ones, illness, accidents, or the loss of a job.  But if we have been seeking Him, depending on Him, we can know that He has set up camp around us, surrounding us with His love even in these times.
 
I'd hate to think how things might be if His presence wasn't there.
 
If you have some time this weekend why not read this pslam or perhaps Psalms 4, 37, or 139.
 
The way to victory in Jesus is through surrender.
 
I Surrender All
 
All to Jesus, I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
 
Refrain
I surrender all, I surrender all,
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

Don't you want His presence in your life?
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 34:1-15
 
34 I  will extol the Lord at all times;his praise will always be on my lips. 2 My soul will boast in the Lord;let the afflicted hear and rejoice. 3 Glorify the Lord with me;let us exalt his name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me;he delivered me from all my fears. 5 Those who look to him are radiant;their faces are never covered with shame. 6 This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;he saved him out of all his troubles. 7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,and he delivers them.
8 Taste and see that the Lord is good;blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. 9 Fear the Lord, you his saints,for those who fear him lack nothing. 10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
11 Come, my children, listen to me;I will teach you the fear of the Lord. 12 Whoever of you loves lifeand desires to see many good days, 13 keep your tongue from eviland your lips from speaking lies. 14 Turn from evil and do good;seek peace and pursue it.

NIV

No comments: