Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Verse of the Day 4/22

Through the Bible - 2 Samuel 4-5, Luke 19:28-48
 
Good morning,
You've probably heard the saying "the eyes are the window of the soul", and you've probably noticed in your own life that the eyes can tell us so much of what is going on in a person, in their heart and mind.  Eyes can reveal anger, fear, distress, as well as joy, compassion, and love.
 
We have recently come through Palm Sunday and Easter and have seen what Christ has done for us.  In today's New Testament reading in Luke 19 we read of Jesus' triumphal entry into the city of Jerusalem.  Amidst the cries of "hosannah and "blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord" there were those who should have been looking and waiting for Him that instead were filled with hate and were plotting and waiting for an opportunity to take His life.  A life that He would freely give.
 
In today's verse we have a glimpse into the eyes of Jesus.
Luke 19:41 Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, 42 saying, "If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes.   NKJV
or from the NLT
Luke 19:41 But as they came closer to Jerusalem and Jesus saw the city ahead, he began to weep. 42 "How I wish today that you of all people would understand the way to peace. But now it is too late, and peace is hidden from your eyes.

Jesus knew the path that was ahead and what He faced.  He knew what these triumphal cheers would lead to.  But as He looked over the crowd, He knew their hearts, and his mood was anything but giddy.   It wan't hate that was in His eyes over what would be done to Him, it was compassion and love.
 
Society reacts to Jesus much in the same way today.  From joyous praise to treachery, deceit and persecution of Christians.  But how is a Christian supposed to look on the world around him?
 
The Bryan Adams song with the opening line "look into my eyes" came to mind.  Read some of the lyrics below.  Tt's a love song that reveals the heart, looking in the eyes.

Everything I Do
 
Look into my eyes - you will see
What you mean to me
Search your heart - search your soul
And when you find me there you'll search no more

Don't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
You can't tell me it's not worth dyin' for
You know it's true
Everything I do - I do it for you

Look into your heart - you will find
There's nothin' there to hide
Take me as I am - take my life
I would give it all - I would sacrifice

Don't tell me it's not worth fightin' for
I can't help it - there's nothin' I want more
Ya know it's true
Everything I do - I do it for you

Oh - you can't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
I can't help it - there's nothin' I want more
I would fight for you -
Walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you

Ya know it's true
Everything I do - I do it for you

What do your eyes reveal to those around you?
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Luke 19:28-45
 
The Triumphal Entry
(Matt 21:1-11; Mark 11:1-11; John 12:12-19)
 
28 When He had said this, He went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. 29 And it came to pass, when He drew near to Bethphage and Bethany, at the mountain called Olivet, that He sent two of His disciples, 30 saying, "Go into the village opposite you, where as you enter you will find a colt tied, on which no one has ever sat. Loose it and bring it here.  31 And if anyone asks you, 'Why are you loosing it?' thus you shall say to him, 'Because the Lord has need of it.'"
 
32 So those who were sent went their way and found it just as He had said to them. 33 But as they were loosing the colt, the owners of it said to them, "Why are you loosing the colt?"
 
34 And they said, "The Lord has need of him." 35 Then they brought him to Jesus. And they threw their own clothes on the colt, and they set Jesus on him. 36 And as He went, many spread their clothes on the road.
 
37 Then, as He was now drawing near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen, 38 saying:
 
"'Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord!'
Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"
 
39 And some of the Pharisees called to Him from the crowd, "Teacher, rebuke Your disciples."
 
40 But He answered and said to them, "I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out."
 
Jesus Weeps over Jerusalem
 
41 Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, 42 saying, "If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes.  43 For days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment around you, surround you and close you in on every side,  44 and level you, and your children within you, to the ground; and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not know the time of your visitation."
 

NKJV

No comments: