Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Verse of the Day 4/7

Through the Bible - Ruth 1-2, Luke 12:4-34
 
Good morning,
We've looked at the "Jesus Creed' to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and to love your neighbor as yourself.  In yesterday's verse we found out who are neighbor was, basically everyone.
 
That's tough enough in and of itself.  For today's verse we'll go to John chapter13 where Jesus picks it up another notch with two small words "as I".
 
John 13:34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."   NKJV
What does it mean to you to love others as Jesus has loved you?

Think of how Jesus loved.  He showed mercy and kindness, love, He forgave people of their sins - even asking forgiveness for those who put Him on the cross.  He had compassion on the sick, the blind, the rejected.  He gave hope to the hopeless and help to the helpless.
 
We may feel that there's no way that we'll be able to love like that.  That kind of power is just not in me.  Where do we begin?
 
Tom Holladay writes, "Recognizing the reality that you don't have the power to act with this kind of love is the first step.  Jesus gave us this seemingly impossible challenge not to discourage us but to lead us to find the power to love others in Him.  If I'm going to love as Jesus love, I need the power that only Jesus can give."
 
That kind of power is not within ourselves, placing faith and trust in Jesus can give us the power.  One of the evidences of this power that shows this kind of love is the power of forgiveness.  Speaking from personal experience of having been forgiven;  forgiveness frees, opens the door for restoration and healing, and brings hope in relationships with others and with God.
 
Consider today how you might love as Jesus loved.  If you are in need of this love, cry out to Jesus.  I'm reminded of the Third Day song "Cry Out to Jesus".   He'll meet you wherever you are.  Will you do the same for a neighbor?
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
John 13:31-36
The New Commandment
31 So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him.  32 If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately.  33 Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, 'Where I am going, you cannot come,' so now I say to you.  34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

NKJV
 

No comments: