Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Verse of the Day 6/2

Through the Bible - 2 Chronicles 10-12, John 14:15-31
 
Good morning,
At the end of yesterday's devotional, I was struck by the phrase in The Message -  I don't want anyone strolling off, down some path that goes nowhere.
I was reminded of some of the words from the Beatles song  "Nowhere Man":
 
He's a real nowhere man,
Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
Making all his nowhere plans
for nobody.

Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to,
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

He's as blind as he can be,
Just sees what he wants to see,
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?

As Christians we realize that God has a plan, and it leads somewhere, to a place, a place with many rooms, a big house, a mansion.  For today's verse we'll go to John 13 where Jesus describes what the lives of those on the path should look like.  It involves living a life of love, a plan which involves loving others as He has loved us.

John 13:34-35 (Amplified Bible) I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another.  35By this shall all [men] know that you are My disciples, if you love one another [if you keep on showing love among yourselves].

The disciples were overwhelmed with these thoughts, how were they to do this if He was leaving them?  In chapter 14, Jesus tells them, reveals to them more of the plan.  He will send the Spirit, the Comforter, to come alongside to live in us and guide us.  He will lead us to our eternal home being prepared for us.
 
John 14:1-4 (The Message)  Don't let this throw you. You trust God, don't you? Trust me. There is plenty of room for you in my Father's home. If that weren't so, would I have told you that I'm on my way to get a room ready for you? And if I'm on my way to get your room ready, I'll come back and get you so you can live where I live. And you already know the road I'm taking."
 
Do you know the road, the way?
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
 
Sometimes if feels like we're facing , we're lost in a "wilderness" of choices , thankfully our Lord "knows the way through the wilderness, all I have to do is follow".
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
The New Commandment
   
John 13:31 So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him. 32 If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately. 33 Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, 'Where I am going, you cannot come,' so now I say to you. 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

No comments: