Saturday, June 26, 2010

Verse of the Day weekend 6/26

Through the Bible - Job 10-14, Acts 8:26- 9:9
 
Good morning,
For this weekend's verse we'll go to a verse that I read in a devotional this morning, I comes from 1 Chronicles and was made popular a few years ago in Bruce Wilkinson's book "The Prayer of Jabez".
 
1 Chronicles 4:9 Jabez was honorable above his brothers; but his mother named him Jabez [sorrow maker], saying, Because I bore him in pain.
10Jabez cried to the God of Israel, saying, Oh, that You would bless me and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and You would keep me from evil so it might not hurt me! And God granted his request.  Amplified Bible
 
Many would read these verses and apply them to the prosperity, name it and claim it gospel.  But what Jabez is praying for is that his sphere of influence, that his "horizon"  may increase to carry out God's message and to do His will.
 
When our son Jeff suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident over ten years ago, in some ways, through the long and continuing recovery, it felt like we had lost our son and were given another.  In reading this verse today I could relate to Jabez' mother, that this new Jeff was born in sorrow.  At the time, no one knew what lied ahead for him or for us.
 
Over the years, we have seen where God has expanded, enlarged Jeff's territory, his "sphere of influence".  He has an impact on literally everyone that comes to know him.  I don't know anyone who has and shows as much joy for life, not to mention "the fruit of the Spirit" love, joy, peace, gentleness, meekness.......
 
When Jeff first had the accident I don't know if someone prayed this prayer for him or if it is in answer to Romans 8 where Paul says that God hears the groans of the heart.
 
Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.   NKJV
Another verse I read this morning came from Philippians 4, one of Jeff's favorite and quoted passages.
 
Phil 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!    NKJV  The verse goes hand in hand with the prayer of Jabez.  I see both of them in the new life given to our son Jeff.
 
If you see Jeff this weekend, sing the first few words of "Bless Me Indeed" by Mercy Me and Jeff will probably recite the following,
 
Bless me indeed
Open wide my horizons to share Your name
Bless me indeed

The Lord bless and keep you
May His face shine upon you
And be gracious and give you peace

"God of surprises, thank you that your horizons are always so much wider than ours".
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Phil 4:
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me — put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.   NIV

No comments: