Thursday, December 9, 2010

Verse of the Day 12/9

Through the Bible - Hosea 5-6, Revelation 3
 
Good morning,
Today's New Testament reading from above is from Revelation 3 which completes the description of the 7 churches in Revelation.  The church at Laodicea was a wealthy church in a wealthy city and was a center of banking and pharmeceutical industry.  The "Today in the Word" devotional from yesterday stated "but all the money in the city wouldn't make the church spiritually rich; all the medicine wouldn't make them spiritually healthy.  Their misplaced priorities and perspectives had left the church "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked."
For today's verse we'll go to verses 17 and 18 from that chapter.
 
Revelation 3:17-18 (The Message)  15-17"I know you inside and out, and find little to my liking. You're not cold, you're not hot—far better to be either cold or hot! You're stale. You're stagnant. You make me want to vomit. You brag, 'I'm rich, I've got it made, I need nothing from anyone,' oblivious that in fact you're a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless.

 18"Here's what I want you to do: Buy your gold from me, gold that's been through the refiner's fire. Then you'll be rich. Buy your clothes from me, clothes designed in Heaven. You've gone around half-naked long enough. And buy medicine for your eyes from me so you can see, really see.

 

The Message speaks of a stale and stagnant church.  Pastor and author Don Fortner writes:


"Religion in America is big business. Scads of money, powerful personalities, huge egos, and positions of prominence, influence, and recognition are at stake in the business of religion, just as they are in any other business. There was a time when the concern of churches and preachers in this country was the glory of God and the truth of God. Today, like any business, the concern is for success.

Christianity today is market-driven. The goal of all marketing is to make both the buyer and the seller satisfied. Consequently, market-driven churches, in utter abandonment of God's glory and God's truth, in their insatiable quest for success and recognition--do whatever it takes to win customers and keep them."

 

Like the churches in Revelation 2 and 3, the Christian church in America today would benefit from an evaluation of itself, a comparison with these churches, to hear what the Spirit would have to say to them, to us.

Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Revelation 3:14-22 (New King James Version)  The Lukewarm Church

   
14 "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,
'These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
22 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."'"

No comments: