Friday, March 15, 2013

Verse of the Day 3/15

Verse of the Day 3/15

Matthew 14:30-31 But when he saw the strength of the wind, he was afraid. And beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me!  31 Immediately Jesus reached out His hand, caught hold of him, and said to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"
 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

 

"He is not merely the rope that pulls us from the threatening waves; he is the solid beach under our feet, the air in our lungs, and the beat of our heart, and the warm sun on our skin, and the song in our ears, and the arms of our beloved".  _ John Piper

 

I read this quote from John Piper this morning and was reminded of times at the beach having fun in the waves, enjoying walks along the beach, breathing in the salty air,

 appreciating the warmth of the sun, while realizing that He is the creator of it all.  We've also been on the ocean when a hurricane was passing by hundreds of miles away

but still had the power to kick the waves up to 10 feet or higher.  Surfers were willing to test the waves but I surely wouldn't have ventured out. 

 

These thoughts brought me to today's passage where Peter stepped out of the boat, into the crashing waves willingly, no surf board, no safety line only his faith in the voice

and command of Jesus.  When was the last time you have been asked to step out in faith?  When will be the next time?

 

Looking back on those times help us to appreciate the times of blue skies, salty breezed and fresh air and clear lungs to breathe it in.

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. 'Boy, you'll never win!'
"You'll never win"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth   - Casting Crowns

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Matthew 14:28-30

New International Version (NIV)

28 "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

29 "Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

No comments: