Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Verse of the Day 3/19

Matthew 11:28-29  Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  New Living Translation (NLT)

Yesterday we considered how "our faith has found a resting place  ...in the ever living one."  It is through coming to Him, trusting in Him and resting in His promises.
 
Our youth group has been going through a series on miracles.  I shared my testimony the other night of the "miracles" our family has experienced.  As many of you know our oldest son Jeff suffered a TBI which has left him disabled.  The miracles in his life are that he is able to talk when doctors said that he would not be able to.  The bigger miracle is his heart, his love, his attitude in spite of and in the midst of his circumstances.  He often thanks God for (in his words) this stupendous, or awesome or wonderful life.  What a blessing he is.  Our younger son Jason was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor 8 years ago.  To make a long story short, the miracle is that there is no longer any sign of it.  Another miracle to me is how Jason never let it keep him down but always focused on what was ahead.  He has one year left on his doctorate in theology.
 
St. Augustine wrote, "Thou movest us to delight in praising Thee; for Thou hast formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in Thee.  Lord teach me to know and understand which of these should be first, to call on Thee, or to prasie Thee; and likewise to know Thee, or to call upon Thee." The statement completes or comes full circle.  We call on Him, He answers, we praise Him which helps us to know Him and causes us to want to know Him better so we call on Him more.
 
I don't know the circumstances in your life today, but God does.  Call on Him, find rest in Him and like St. Augustine, figure out which comes first - to call, praise to know or to call.  Is it all of the above?
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 

Matthew 11:28-30

The Message (MSG)

28-30 "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

No comments: