Monday, March 18, 2013

Verse of the Day 3/18

 
Hebrews 4:3  For only we who believe can enter his rest. As for the others, God said,

"In my anger I took an oath:
    'They will never enter my place of rest,'"

even though this rest has been ready since he made the world.  New Living Translation (NLT)

People can have faith in any number of things including themselves.  It is not the power of your faith that will save you and deliver you in times of need, it is the power of Whom you have faith in, putting your full weight and trust in Whom you believe in.  B.B. Warfield writes, "It is not faith that saves, but faith in Jesus Christ.... It is not, strictly speaking, even faith in Christ that saves, but Christ that saves through faith.  The saving power resides exclusively, not in the act of faith or the attitude of faith or in the nature of faith, but in the object of faith." 
 
Jesus Christ is the object, the author and perfector of our faith.  He has told us that He is the way, the truth and the life. We can rest in that.
 
My faith has found a resting place,
  Not in device nor creed;
I trust the Ever-living One,
  His wounds for me shall plead.
 
I need no other argument,
  I need no other plea;
It is enough that Jesus died,
    And that He died for me.
 
Enough for me that Jesus saves,
  This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him,
  He'll never cast me out.
 
My heart is leaning on the Word,
  The written Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior's name,
  Salvation through His blood.
 
My great Physician heals the sick,
  The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed,
  For me His life He gave.

 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Hebrews 4:2-4 Amplified Bible (AMP)

For indeed we have had the glad tidings [Gospel of God] proclaimed to us just as truly as they [the Israelites of old did when the good news of deliverance from bondage came to them]; but the message they heard did not benefit them, because it was not mixed with faith (with [a]the leaning of the entire personality on God in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness) by those who heard it; [b]neither were they united in faith with the ones [Joshua and Caleb] who heard (did believe).

For we who have believed (adhered to and trusted in and relied on God) do enter that rest, [c]in accordance with His declaration that those [who did not believe] should not enter when He said, As I swore in My wrath, They shall not enter My rest; and this He said although [His] works had been completed and prepared [and waiting for all who would believe] from the foundation of the world.

For in a certain place He has said this about the seventh day: And God rested on the seventh day from all His works.

No comments: