Monday, September 2, 2013

Verse of the Day 9/2

 
Romans 10:1-2 Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God concerning them is for their salvation! I can testify about them that they have zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.  Holman Christian Standard
Bible (HCSB)
 
Today, we celebrate labor day, a day when we rest from our labors while being thankful for the work that we have had.  Paul's life had been a labor of love, for God and his fellow man.  His heart went to all, Jews and Gentiles, desiring that they come to know Jesus, who could deliver them from futile efforts of attaining a right relationship to God through their own efforts.
 
These verses begin a new chapter but are directly tied to chapter 9.  The "religious" leaders of the day challenged him at every turn.  As with Jesus Himself, they persecuted him, for going against their system of rules and regulations.  Paul knew their hearts all too well as he had been one of them until he was blinded on the road to Damascus.  His hearts desire and prayer that their eyes, hearts and minds would be open to the gospel, the good news that could free them from their striving to follow the rules and regulations but not follow their hearts toward God.
 
What is our striving all about?  Are we striving to please ourselves, striving to please God in our own way our own efforts, or are we striving to follow Him as lead by the Spirit?  Something to think about on this extra day off of work.
 
  1. Living for Jesus, a life that is true,
    Striving to please Him in all that I do;
    Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
    This is the pathway of blessing for me.
Living for Jesus through earth's little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.
  1. Refrain:
    O Jesus, Lord and Savior, I give myself to Thee,
    For Thou, in Thy atonement, didst give Thyself for me;
    I own no other Master, my heart shall be Thy throne;
    My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Romans 10:1-4

New Living Translation (NLT)

10 Dear brothers and sisters, the longing of my heart and my prayer to God is for the people of Israel to be saved.I know what enthusiasm they have for God, but it is misdirected zeal. For they don't understand God's way of making people right with himself. Refusing to accept God's way, they cling to their own way of getting right with God by trying to keep the law. For Christ has already accomplished the purpose for which the law was given.[b] As a result, all who believe in him are made right with God.

No comments: