Sunday, November 10, 2013

Verse of the Day 11/10

 
Psalm 43:3-4  Send Your light and Your truth; let them lead me.
Let them bring me to Your holy mountain,
to Your dwelling place.
Then I will come to the altar of God,
to God, my greatest joy.
I will praise You with the lyre,
God, my God.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
Earlier in the week, in the read through the Bible plan that I'm on, I read Hebrews 4:12.  It has been on my mind all week and I was wondering when I would use it again as the verse of the day.  When I read today's verses from Psalm 43 I decided to reference the verse in relation to today's verse and the thoughts of Billy Graham and those who have proclaimed the gospel message through the years.
 
Hebrews 4:12For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the [a]breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.  Amplified Bible (AMP)  The Amplified Bible states that the Word is alive and full of power.  When I think of these words, "active, operative, energizing, and effective" I think of the effect that they've had on those we've considered this week, Billy Graham, Paul, and James to name a few.  God's Word definitely was a light for them to lead them.  They continually approached "the alter of God" with great joy all the days of their lives, and they worshipped him with praise.
 
We'll close with a hymn that George Beverly Shea sang for years in conjunction with Billy Graham's crusades - "I'd Rather Have Jesus".  If fits with words from David's heart here when he speaks of "his greatest joy". 
 
  1. I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
    I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
    I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
    I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand
    • Refrain:
      Than to be the king of a vast domain
      And be held in sin's dread sway;
      I'd rather have Jesus than anything
      This world affords today.
  2. I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause;
    I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
    I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
    I'd rather be true to His holy name
Can you  say or sing the same today?
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 43:3-4

The Message (MSG)

3-4 Give me your lantern and compass,
    give me a map,
So I can find my way to the sacred mountain,
    to the place of your presence,
To enter the place of worship,
    meet my exuberant God,
Sing my thanks with a harp,
    magnificent God, my God.

No comments: