Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Verse of the Day 11/27

 
Psalm 69:30   I will praise the name of God with a song;
    I will magnify him with thanksgiving.  English Standard Version (ESV)

I read today's verse in a devotional from John Piper and as I read it I thought that it is a good verse to prepare for and lead us into Thanksgiving.

John Piper writes, "there are two kinds of magnifying: microscope magnifying and telescope magnifying. The one makes a small thing look bigger than it is. The other makes a big thing begin to look as big as it really is.  When David says, "I will magnify God with thanksgiving," he does not mean: "I will make a small God look bigger than he is." He means: "I will make a big God begin to look as big as he really is."  We are not called to be microscopes, but telescopes. Christians are not called to be con-men who magnify their product out of all proportion to reality, when they know the competitor's product is far superior."

Thanksgiving is a time of looking back in our lives, in the life of our family, our country and our faith and to give thanks to God for the great things He has done.  As I do this in my own life I can see where those things that magnify Him most were born out of the trials and their aftermath in my life.  They revealed His presence, His mercy, His grace in unexpected ways.
 
As you gather together with family and friends tomorrow and perhaps over the long weekend, take some time to magnify Him, to "make our big God begin to look as big as He really is" and has been in our lives.
 
Perhaps you are currently experiencing hurt and pain.  If so, such a practice of looking back and praising God through what He has done, what He has accomplished through previous trials may give you the strength to magnify Him in what He will do in your current situation.  If you are there, may God give you "space for healing, and mountain air".

In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 69:29-31

The Message (MSG)

29 I'm hurt and in pain;
Give me space for healing, and mountain air.

30 Let me shout God's name with a praising song,
Let me tell his greatness in a prayer of thanks.

31 For God, this is better than oxen on the altar,
Far better than blue-ribbon bulls.

No comments: