Thursday, November 7, 2013

Verse of the Day 11/7

 
Psalm 40:9-10  I have told the glad news of deliverance[a]
    in the great congregation;
behold, I have not restrained my lips,
    as you know, O Lord.
10 I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart;
    I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation;
I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness
    from the great congregation.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
I came across today's verses in my daily devotional time, reading in the Psalms.  It is fitting for the day which is Billy Graham's 95th birthday.  For this special occasion he states : "I've recently prepared what may well be my last message to our nation. I have prayed a great deal about this. The program is called The Cross, and you can see it on television beginning November 7."
 
Billy Graham just may be the epitome, at least the modern day version, of this verse.  He has spoken for decades "the glad news of deliverance" to the masses in evangelistic crusades and on television.  He has not restrained his lips but continues to speak, and proclaim God's mercy and grace.  Even in preparing for this event he states that this "very well" may be his last message, but he isn't making the decision.  He is trusting in God.  If God calls him to speak again, I'm sure he will do it.  For 30 years beyond the "retirement age" of 65 he has continued to speak of God's faithfulness and His salvation.  He hasn't concealed the message or held it back.
 
He should be an example for us in so many ways.  We shouldn't fail to tell of Jesus, the lover of our souls.  We shouldn't  hear or think of the word "retirement" in relation to ministry and proclaiming the message of God's salvation.  We shouldn't "conceal" but should reveal His steadfast love and faithfulness to "our congregation", to the people we know.
 
We'll close with the words to the old hymn "Jesus Saves, Jesus Saves".  It was the message and mission of Billy Graham through the years to "spread the tidings"  and I'm sure will be his message this evening that Jesus saves.
 
  1. We have heard the joyful sound:
    Jesus saves! Jesus saves!
    Spread the tidings all around:
    Jesus saves! Jesus saves!
    Bear the news to every land,
    Climb the mountains, cross the waves;
    Onward! 'tis our Lord's command;
    Jesus saves! Jesus saves!
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 40:9-10

The Message (MSG)

9-10 I've preached you to the whole congregation,
    I've kept back nothing, God—you know that.
I didn't keep the news of your ways
    a secret, didn't keep it to myself.
I told it all, how dependable you are, how thorough.
    I didn't hold back pieces of love and truth
For myself alone. I told it all,
    let the congregation know the whole story.

No comments: