Friday, November 15, 2013

Verse of the Day 11/15

Verse of the Day 11/15
 
 John 6:67-68   Therefore Jesus said to the Twelve, "You don't want to go away too, do you?"
68 Simon Peter answered, "Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life.   Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
Yesterday we considered what it means to "decide to go with trust" and I quoted the old chorus "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus".  There may come times in our lives when we come to a crossroads, perhaps during the deepest trial in our life where we will have to make a decision, do I continue to follow or do I learn to trust?
 
In today's passage many were turning away from Jesus finding out that this life of following was not an easy one to follow.  As others walked away Jesus asked the 12 directly, do you want to walk away too?  Peter's answer will be the same for those today who come to that crossroad but realize Who they have in Jesus and that there is no turning back.
 
A friend responded to yesterday's song "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus" and pointed out where it came from.  You can find several variations to the history of it but here is a snapshot from Wikipedia - "The lyrics are based on the last words of a man in Assam, north-east India, who along with his family was converted to Christianity in the middle of the 19th century through the efforts of a Welsh missionary. Called to renounce his faith by the village chief, the convert declared, "I have decided to follow Jesus." In response to threats to his family, he continued, "Though no one joins me, still I will follow." His wife was killed, and he was executed while singing, "The cross before me, the world behind me." This display of faith is reported to have led to the conversion of the chief and others in the village.
An American hymn editor, William Jensen Reynolds, composed an arrangement which was included in the 1959 Assembly Songbook. His version became a regular feature of Billy Graham's evangelistic meetings in America and elsewhere, spreading its popularity.
 
These words bring added meaning to the song, especially the stanza below.  It is why Billy Graham, even at 95, continues to tell of the cross of Christ.
 
The world behind me, the cross before me,
The world behind me, the cross before me,
The world behind me, the cross before me.
No turning back, no turning back.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

John 6:63-69

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
63 The Spirit is the One who gives life. The flesh doesn't help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. 64 But there are some among you who don't believe." (For Jesus knew from the beginning those who would not[a] believe and the one who would betray Him.) 65 He said, "This is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless it is granted to him by the Father."
66 From that moment many of His disciples turned back and no longer accompanied Him. 67 Therefore Jesus said to the Twelve, "You don't want to go away too, do you?"
68 Simon Peter answered, "Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and know that You are the Holy One of God!"

No comments: