Friday, November 22, 2013

Verse of the Day 11/22

 
James 2:1  My brothers, do not show favoritism as you hold on to the faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ.   Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
As you may have noticed the last two verses that I've shared have come from James.  They've come up in the read through the Bible plan that I'm following.  Over the years, I've probably read today's verse dozens of times but have always focused on the "partiality" or favoritism aspect of the verse.  With yesterday's topic of faith still in my mind what jumped out at me today was  "as you hold on to the faith". Think about it.  The Amplified Bible translates it "hold onto and practice" the faith.  Not showing partiality is practicing.  But what about holding on to?
 
Faith is something that needs to be held onto in order to be shared.  You can let it  slip away if you "let public opinion influence you" (The Message).  It has to be held onto in the every day life and also during the storms of life "when the sea billows roll".  But when we do it is an anchor for the soul, secured by Jesus.
 
I'm reminded of another hymn that brings these thoughts together "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less".  Read the two stanzas below
 

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

His oath, His covenant, and blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When every earthly prop gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

What is it that supports us, that is the cornerstone of our faith?  His  oath, His covenant, His blood shed for us.  When all earthly props give way may we hold on and rest in faith to His unchanging grace.  Those who do so will not show partiality but compassion and grace in their dealings with others.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

James 2:1

The Message (MSG)

The Royal Rule of Love

1-4 My dear friends, don't let public opinion influence how you live out our glorious, Christ-originated faith. If a man enters your church wearing an expensive suit, and a street person wearing rags comes in right after him, and you say to the man in the suit, "Sit here, sir; this is the best seat in the house!" and either ignore the street person or say, "Better sit here in the back row," haven't you segregated God's children and proved that you are judges who can't be trusted?

No comments: