Thursday, January 2, 2014

Verse of the Day 1/2

 
John 15:9-10  "As the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you. Remain in My love. 10 If you keep My commands you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commands and remain in His love.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
As we considered recently, Peter's final words to us, in his second epistle were a call, a challenge to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ". (2 Peter 3:18).  Our faith should not reach a plateau, there should be continual growth both in God's grace and in the knowledge of our Lord, of the Bible.  Many will be starting up Bible reading plans to start the new year.  I would encourage you to do so.
 
Today's verses should be a reminder for us to persevere through the coming year, through thick and thin, through good times and bad, to abide, to remain in God's love, and one of the best ways to see that this will be accomplished will be to remain in His Word.  The growing in grace involves more than remaining in His Word, it will mean applying what we are being taught.  That is where the growth will come from.
 
I would challenge you to commit time to the Lord this coming year in prayerfully reading and studying His Word.  Abide in it, in Him and see what He will do for and through you.  If that relation is "intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant" (The Message).
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

John 15:8-10

The Message (MSG)

5-8 "I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can't produce a thing. Anyone who separates from me is deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire. But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon. This is how my Father shows who he is—when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples.

9-10 "I've loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love. That's what I've done—kept my Father's commands and made myself at home in his love.

No comments: