Friday, January 31, 2014

Verse of the Day 1/31

 
Matthew 7:11  So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.  New Living Translation (NLT)
 
Last weekend my wife and I had the privilege to watch our 21 month old granddaughter Ava while her parents went out for the evening.  She is sweet, precious and already sharp as a tack.  I can't believe how quick she picks up on things.
 
As we were sitting down watching her play with various toys in our living room I went to get a nice big bowl of Moose Tracks ice cream.  As soon as I sat down, there was Ava, bumping her chest against my knees as should stood in front of me while I took the first spoonful.  She smiled and I didn't even have to ask what she wanted.  I offered her a spoonful (followed  by several more).  I still had plenty for myself, but it was a joy to see the look on her face, the sparkle in her eyes, smile on her face and her appreciation for "gramps" (and the ice cream).  There was no need for her to bargain with me.  She had won me over, the delight was mutual.
 
She came to me and I knew what she wanted.  I wouldn't have thought of giving her a brussel sprout or sawdust (The Message).  Why is it that we hesitate to ask God for things that will bring us joy and that he would be happy to give us?  Is it our pride and our "I can do it, or obtain it myself" attitude that wants to leave God out of the picture?
 
Is there something that you know that God would give you if you would only ask Him for it?  The delight would be mutual, He'd be glad to give it, and you'd gladly receive it with gratitude and praise.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Matthew 7:10-12

The Message (MSG)

7-11 "Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need. This isn't a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in. If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust? If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing. You're at least decent to your own children. So don't you think the God who conceived you in love will be even better?

12 "Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them. Add up God's Law and Prophets and this is what you get.

No comments: