Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Verse of the Day 1/29

 
Psalm 121:3 He will not allow your foot to slip;
your Protector will not slumber.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
When you hear the word desert may picture the rolling sand hills of the Sahara often seen in the movies.  The terrain in the deserts around Israel were quite different.  It was rocky terrain where every step was an opportunity to stumble, to sprain or possibly break your ankle.  Doing so would make your struggle worse, perhaps life threatening.  It was imperative that they keep their eyes open for the pitfalls along the path.
 
Going through this passage and this verse, I was reminded of Paul's words in Ephesians 5:15, especially in the NKJV  which tells us " See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise,".  The idea is to be walking with your eyes "wide open" to all that is going on around you.  Being aware of your situation.  It also involves being aware, as we considered yesterday, of the opportunities for shade, not only for ourselves but to help provide shade for others that need it.
 
I don't think I've ever quoted a Johnny Cash song before in these devotionals, but the song "Walk the Line" came to mind, especially this stanza:
 
I keep a close watch on this heart of mine,
I keep my eyes wide open all the time,
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds,
Because you're mine, I walk the line.
 
Keeping our eyes wide open, in allowing God to lead and direct our steps around the pitfalls,  He will keep us from stumbling day by day, even, or perhaps especially through those desert places.
 
Psalm 116:8 -9 For you have delivered my soul from death,
    my eyes from tears,
    my feet from stumbling;
I will walk before the Lord
    in the land of the living.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Psalm 121:2-4

The Message (MSG)

A Pilgrim Song

121 1-2 I look up to the mountains;
    does my strength come from mountains?
No, my strength comes from God,
    who made heaven, and earth, and mountains.
3-4 He won't let you stumble,
    your Guardian God won't fall asleep.
Not on your life! Israel's
    Guardian will never doze or sleep.

No comments: