Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Verse of the Day 1/21

 
Lamentations 3:21-22  But this I call to mind,
    and therefore I have hope:

22 

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;

his mercies never come to an end;  English Standard Version (ESV)

Today's verses come from one of my favorite passages in the Bible dealing with hope and in particular of God's mercies, helping me realize in verse 23 that they are "new every morning".  But what struck me this morning was earlier in the passage, in verse 21 the saying "this I call to mind".  It is a reminder that it is not automatic, it is something that is brought up from within us.
 
In our men's Bible study yesterday morning we were taking a look at the "tree planted by the stream" in Psalm 1 and Jeremiah 17.  As opposed to an oak tree near a running river we looked at an acacia tree, in the rocky desert, growing beside a wadi a dry riverbed that seasonally becomes filled with water and can be a raging torrent.  The tree sends down roots deep so that it can access the water even when it is not visible on the surface.  It draws from deep below the surface.  It is the picture that I had about this "calling to mind".  We may find ourselves in a desert place but we can call on, call up the promises of God in the Bible to give us hope.  Promises of joy, mercy, healing, forgiveness and on and on, whatever is needed for the situation.
 
John Piper writes, "If we don't call to mind what God has said about himself and about us, we languish.  O how I know this from painful experience!  Don't wallow in the mire of godless messages.  I mean messages in your own head.  "I can't".. "she won't", "they never", "it has never worked".  The point is that these are not true or false.  Your mind finds a way to make them true, unless you "call to mind" something greater.  God is the God of the impossible.  Reasoning your way out of an impossible situation is not as effective as reminding your way out of it."
 
What promises do you need to "call to mind this morning"?  May they bring you hope.  "Keep a grip on hope" (The Message), His love, His promises haven't dried up.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Lamentations 3:20-24

The Message (MSG)

It's a Good Thing to Hope for Help from God

19-21 I'll never forget the trouble, the utter lostness,
    the taste of ashes, the poison I've swallowed.
I remember it all—oh, how well I remember—
    the feeling of hitting the bottom.
But there's one other thing I remember,
    and remembering, I keep a grip on hope:

22-24 God's loyal love couldn't have run out,
    his merciful love couldn't have dried up.
They're created new every morning.
    How great your faithfulness!
I'm sticking with God (I say it over and over).
    He's all I've got left.

No comments: