Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Verse of the Day 2/18

 
 Mark 1:15  "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe in the good news!"    Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
I read today's verse in the read through the Bible plan that I'm following for yesterday.  Later in the day I was reading a book, "On Christian Faith", by Edward Schillebeeckx and came across the following quote which was in reference to this verse and others:
 
 "Belief in Jesus as the Christ means at its deepest a recognition in confession and action that Jesus has a permanent and decisive significance in the approach of the kingdom of God and thus in the all-embracing healing and making whole of humanity.  It is essentially a matter of the distinctive, unique relationship of Jesus to the coming kingdom of God as salvation for men and women.  That with the coming of Jesus God comes within a hair's breadth of us in a basic Christian conviction which therefore must be expressed in one way or another in the Christian creed."  (Page 19)
 
My son Jason and I may not always see eye to eye politically, philosophically and even theologically but this verse and this statement bring us to a point of agreement, a common creed of the Christian faith.  These thoughts brought me to the Nicene creed which brought me to the Rich Mullins song "Creed".  I'll post the first stanza and chorus, you can probably sing along or recite the rest.
 
I believe in God the Father almighty 
Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth 
And in Jesus Christ 
His only begotten Son, our Lord 
He was conceived by the Holy Spirit 
Born of the virgin Mary 
Suffered under Pontius Pilate 
He was crucified and dead and buried
CHORUS: 
And I believe what I believe 
Is what makes me what I am 
I did not make it, no it is making me 
It is the very truth of God and not 
The invention of any man
 
 
The call is still the same, in today's language it would be more like we see in The Message "God's kingdom is here.  Change your life and believe the message."  If you'v made that "confession" it will make a permanent and decisive significance in your life.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Mark 1:14-18

The Message (MSG)
14-15 After John was arrested, Jesus went to Galilee preaching the Message of God: "Time's up! God's kingdom is here. Change your life and believe the Message."
16-18 Passing along the beach of Lake Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew net-fishing. Fishing was their regular work. Jesus said to them, "Come with me. I'll make a new kind of fisherman out of you. I'll show you how to catch men and women instead of perch and bass." They didn't ask questions. They dropped their nets and followed.

No comments: