Saturday, February 1, 2014

Verse of the Day 2/1

 
Psalm 119:9-10  How can a young man keep his way pure?
    By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
  let me not wander from your commandments!  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
The youth at our church, middle school through high school are participating in a "Walk Wisely" weekend.  There will be worship in song, in study and in service.  Whether you are young or old, today's verses from Psalm 119 fit with the concept of "walking wisely".  The Message puts it like this, we are to be "reading the roadmap" of His word and then following it. 
 
The focus of this weekend is "labels".  The world likes to put labels on us and it is easy to get caught up in it and also to put labels on ourselves that can shake our confidence and even weaken our faith.
 
One of the ways that we can walk wisely is to seek God, to internalize His Word, take it to heart and to defend against the labels that Satan would want to put on us.  God has some labels that He gives to us, ones that trump any others.  He says you are "mine", "redeemed", "justified", "forgiven" and "set free".  Instead of accepting what labels others try to apply may we "relish" (v.16 The Message) what He has told us, what He thinks of us, and what He has planned for us.  He will keep our ways pure when we guard our way, guard our hearts according to His Word.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 119:9-16

The Message (MSG)

9-16 How can a young person live a clean life?
    By carefully reading the map of your Word.
I'm single-minded in pursuit of you;
    don't let me miss the road signs you've posted.

I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart
    so I won't sin myself bankrupt.
Be blessed, God;
    train me in your ways of wise living.
I'll transfer to my lips
    all the counsel that comes from your mouth;
I delight far more in what you tell me about living
    than in gathering a pile of riches.
I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you,
    I attentively watch how you've done it.
I relish everything you've told me of life,
    I won't forget a word of it.

No comments: