Friday, February 28, 2014

Verse of the Day 2/28

Verse of the Day 2/28   
 
Luke 18:1 And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
There are times in life when we will hear bad news, whether it be news of an accident, a diagnosis or actual loss of something or someone dear to us.  When this happens we say that our "heart sank".  It is like the bottom dropped out of it.
I'm sure that at times, the woman from yesterday's passage may have felt that way.  She may have lost some or most "heart" but enough remained to reach out and touch Jesus.
 
The Amplified Bible in this verse states, "pray and not to turn coward (faint, lose heart, and give up)."  In other words, to totally give up, faint and lose heart is to turn coward.  We need to take courage and be encouraged to continue to pray and not lose heart.  Never surrender, never give up.
 
In these situations it may seem like we are lost in a vast wilderness with no way out.  But some One does.
My Lord Knows the Way     My Lord knows the way through the wilderness,	  All I have to do is follow.	  My Lord knows the way through the wilderness,  All I have to do is follow.	  Strength for today is mine all the way,	  And all that I need for tomorrow.  My Lord knows the way through,   All I have to do is follow.
Strength for today is something we all need.  May we find it as we pray persistently, and not lose heart.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Luke 18

The Message (MSG)

The Story of the Persistent Widow

18 1-3 Jesus told them a story showing that it was necessary for them to pray consistently and never quit. He said, "There was once a judge in some city who never gave God a thought and cared nothing for people. A widow in that city kept after him: 'My rights are being violated. Protect me!'

4-5 "He never gave her the time of day. But after this went on and on he said to himself, 'I care nothing what God thinks, even less what people think. But because this widow won't quit badgering me, I'd better do something and see that she gets justice—otherwise I'm going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding.'"

6-8 Then the Master said, "Do you hear what that judge, corrupt as he is, is saying? So what makes you think God won't step in and work justice for his chosen people, who continue to cry out for help? Won't he stick up for them? I assure you, he will. He will not drag his feet. But how much of that kind of persistent faith will the Son of Man find on the earth when he returns?"

No comments: