Saturday, March 15, 2014

Verse of the Day 3/15

 
John 16:33   I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."   New Living Translation (NLT)
 
In yesterday's devotional from Acts 5:20 and the call to "speak to the people the words of this Life" of and in Jesus, I quoted a stanza from the Mandisa song "Overcomer".  The thoughts from that song brought me to today's verse.  
 
The Message paraphrase for this verse tells us that "you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace". Is that something that you need today?  The Amplified Bible says " you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration", but through Jesus and faith in Him, the wonderful part about this is that we can take heart now, this peace, His Peace,  it is available to us during those storms and trials.  Why?  Because through faith and trust in Him we are overcomers and will overcome, in this life and into eternal life.
 
This verse leads right into Jesus' "High Priestly Prayer" in John 17, it is a prayer for His followers to have and hold onto. It is a prayer to give us confidence that we can overcome.  I'll post another stanza from the Mandisa song "Overcomer" that illustrates that thought.
 
The same Man, the Great I am
The one who overcame death
Is living inside of You
So just hold tight, fix your eyes
On the one who holds your life
There's nothing He can't do
He's telling You
Your an overcomer.
 
 "I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. 24 Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!"  John 17:23-24 New Living Translation (NLT)
 
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

John 16:32-33

Amplified Bible (AMP)
32 But take notice, the hour is coming, and it has arrived, when you will all be dispersed andscattered, every man to his own home, leaving Me alone. Yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.
33 I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]

No comments: