Saturday, March 1, 2014

Verse of the Day 3/1

 
Psalm 23:1-2  The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.
He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.   Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
In yesterday's devotional I copied the words from the chorus "My Lord Knows the Way" which is based on Psalm 23.  It speaks of following our Shepherd, who will give us strength for today and what I need for tomorrow.  "Strength for today is mine all the way, And all that I need for tomorrow."
 
Growing up in the United States and in the Midwest in particular, what I had been taught and what I had in vision in verse two in regards to "green pastures", had more to do with the beautiful farm fields of corn in Illinois or the lush green wheat fields that I had driven through in Kansas in late spring or summer before they had turned to the amber waves of grain.
 
In Ray Vander Laan's "Walking With God in the Desert", he painted quite a different picture of the green pastures.  We were shown a desert, where the shepherds would have led their flocks.  Farm fields were fairly scarce in Israel and what fertile fields there were, would have been oft limits to the sheep and shepherds until after harvest.  Instead the green fields would have been rocky fields with tufts of green growing among the rocks.  Rain was sporadic and what green there was would have grown around the rocks where moisture from rain and dew (from moist breezes off the Mediterranean) would be held, protected from the sun, enough for the plants to grow.   The shepherds could see the green pastures from the hue, the hint of green visible from a distance.  The vegetation was enough for the sheep to feed on for the day, for the time at hand.  As for tomorrow, the sheep would be dependent upon the shepherd to lead them to the next green pasture.
 
He leads, He will provide enough food for the day and enough strength to move on to tomorrow's pasture.  We may know what tomorrow has in store, we may be in a dark valley - the darkest valley, but our mission is to trust, to follow in the strength that He will provide.  He is and will be with us.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 23

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Psalm 23

The Good Shepherd

A Davidic psalm.

The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.
He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He renews my life;
He leads me along the right paths[a]
for His name's sake.
Even when I go through the darkest valley,[b]
I fear no danger,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff[c]—they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in[d] the house of the Lord
as long as I live.[e]

No comments: