Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Verse of the Day 3/4

 
Luke 15:20  So he got up and went to his father. But while the son was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion. He ran, threw his arms around his neck, and kissed him.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
Most likely, you are all familiar with the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15.  The son had rebelled against the father, had dishonored him in front of the community and then ran off with his inheritance only to blow it in a short period of time.  We are also probably familiar with the point in the story at which the son "came to himself", came to his senses about his situation, realizing that his best option would be to seek forgiveness and be willing to submit to his father.
 
We may have had situations in our lives where we've blown it, come to our senses in a situation as well.  But sometimes, that is as far as it goes.  We come to an agreement with ourselves but stop short of seeking reconciliation, even if it is to our detriment.  The part that struck me in reading through this today was here in verse 20, "so he got up and went".  Sometimes we have to do more than just come to our senses,  sometimes we have to get up and go, face the situation, face the person and allow God to do the work of reconciliation.  The reaction may not be like the father's in this instance, but who knows, it could be.
 
Sometimes we have to face our fears.  We may face enemies as David did in Psalm 56, sometimes those enemies are within ourselves.  Either way, David had a good outlook in facing his fears when he wrote:
 
Psalm 56:3-4  When I am afraid,
I will trust in You.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not fear.
What can man do to me?  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
What fears are you facing today?  Whether they are in the form of a person or an obstacle, may you find strength as you trust God to overcome your fears.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Luke 15:20

The Message (MSG)

17-20 "That brought him to his senses. He said, 'All those farmhands working for my father sit down to three meals a day, and here I am starving to death. I'm going back to my father. I'll say to him, Father, I've sinned against God, I've sinned before you; I don't deserve to be called your son. Take me on as a hired hand.' He got right up and went home to his father.

20-21 "When he was still a long way off, his father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him. The son started his speech: 'Father, I've sinned against God, I've sinned before you; I don't deserve to be called your son ever again.'

No comments: