Friday, March 21, 2014

Verse of the Day 3/21

 
 Proverbs 22:6  Train up a child in the way he should go;
    even when he is old he will not depart from it.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
When you read this familiar verse you should notice that it says "train up a child".  It doesn't specifically say teach, although that is involved.  It has been said that what people, especially children often learn is caught more than it is taught.  They catch it by observation, by seeing it acted out in life, especially the lives of a parent, grandparent or perhaps a mentor.
 
I recently heard question and answer session with several theologians where the question was asked of this verse, "can you give me an example of how I am to do this in life".  After a pause, I believe that it was Sinclair Ferguson who addressed the question.  He said "take your child to evening service".  He went on to say that many church's no longer have a separate evening service, in that case, take the child with you into the service.  Worship with them in singing, taking communion, giving offerings, and praying.
 
It was not an answer that I expected to hear.  But looking back in my own life, I could relate.  When I was a child our family regularly went to evening services.  It is where I gained those memories of so many of the hymns that I quote.  Later, my wife and I did the same thing at the church we attended when we were raising our kids.  Many of the "kids" from my childhood church receive these devotionals, they are the ones that attended the evening services.  Some of the parents and their kids from the church where our kids grew up receive these as well.  It is those same parents and kids that attended those evening services.
 
My dad passed away a couple of years ago and at his funeral service, one of those kids that I grew up with, and yes attended those evening services  and later led the hymn singing at those evening services, gave a testimony of how my dad would often request the same hymn to be song.  He quoted the song and the page number from the hymnal and led us once again in singing the hymn.  It brings tears to my eyes now in recalling and writing this.  My dad had more than one favorite hymn and I'll close with it. 
 
Count Your Blessings.
 
When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
Refrain
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
 
 
Yes, count your blessings and may you realize that one of them is to be able spend time with your children or perhaps grandchildren in worship.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Proverbs 22:5-7

The Message (MSG)
The perverse travel a dangerous road, potholed and mud-slick;
    if you know what's good for you, stay clear of it.
Point your kids in the right direction—
    when they're old they won't be lost.
The poor are always ruled over by the rich,
    so don't borrow and put yourself under their power.

No comments: