Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Verse of the Day 3/5

  
Psalm 51:6  Behold, You desire truth in the inner being; make me therefore to know wisdom in my inmost heart.  Amplified Bible (AMP)
 
In yesterday's passage from Luke 15 we considered how the prodigal son "came to himself", came to his senses and then got up and went to seek his father's forgiveness.  In today's passage in Psalm 51 David has the same kind of realization.  The Holman Christian Study Bible calls it "integrity within the inner self".
Before we can be right with God we have to be truthful and honest with our self.  This doesn't come from the natural man who is always trying to justify his own actiions, never taking responsibility.  If someone or something is at fault it is beyond himself.
 
Billy Graham writes, "The Bible teaches that purity of conduct includes truthfulness.  The Bible teaches that we should be truthful in our representation of ourselves.... God does not ask us to understate our achievements in our particular vocation.  God does not ask us to understate the facts- that might even be untruthfulness- but neither does he want us to overrate our achievements or our gifts, either in thought or in speech.  A lies is anything contrary to the naked truth."
 
It all starts with being honest with ourselves and being transparent before God.  If things are not right, not square there we are fooling ourselves and will be prone to try to fool others as well.
 
David Jeremiah describes it well when he states, "We do not live our spiritual life in a vacuum; there are no hidden words or deeds in God's sight."
If you've been out of step with God (The Message)  the way to get in step, to get right, is to be honest with yourself and before God and let Him do a Genesis work in your life.  That's what David did, that's what the prodigal son did.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 

Psalm 51:1-6

The Message (MSG)

A David Psalm, After He Was Confronted by Nathan About the Affair with Bathsheba

51 1-3 Generous in love—God, give grace!
    Huge in mercy—wipe out my bad record.
Scrub away my guilt,
    soak out my sins in your laundry.
I know how bad I've been;
    my sins are staring me down.
4-6 You're the One I've violated, and you've seen
    it all, seen the full extent of my evil.
You have all the facts before you;
    whatever you decide about me is fair.
I've been out of step with you for a long time,
    in the wrong since before I was born.
What you're after is truth from the inside out.
    Enter me, then; conceive a new, true life

No comments: