Sunday, September 14, 2014

Verse of the Day 9/14

 
Isaiah 43:25 "I, I am he
    who blots out your transgressions for my own sake,
    and I will not remember your sins.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Yesterday we read in Psalm 56 that God records, He takes note of and remembers our tears and our sorrows.  Today's verse goes to the opposite end of the spectrum.  For those who will come and put their faith and trust in Him, He will not remember our sins.  He is the great eraser, He blots them out, covers them.  It is just another example of God's great grace.
 

I read the following quote some time ago in placed it in my Bible with today's verse:.  "[Grace is] my favorite word in the lexicon of the English language. It's a word I'm depending on. The universe operates by Karma, we all know that. For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. There is some atonement built in: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Then enters Grace and turns that upside down. I love it. I'm not talking about people being graceful in their actions but just covering over the cracks. Christ's ministry really was a lot to do with pointing out how everybody is a screw-up in some shape or form, there's no way around it. But then He was to say, well, I am going to deal with those sins for you. I will take on Myself all the consequences of sin. Even if you're not religious, I think you'd accept that there are consequences to all the mistakes we make. And so Grace enters the picture to say, I'll take the blame, I'll carry the cross. It is a powerful idea. Grace interrupting Karma."   Bono, in U2 by U2 (London, 2006), page 300.

 
Reading that statement we should be thankful that while "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" may apply to physics, it does not apply go God's grace. 
 
The context of this verse is also worthy of note.  In spite of empty worship and arguing against God, trying to make a case against Him.  God offers forgiveness and grace to those who will turn to Him, who will listen to the call from His Word.
 
From the creation to the cross
There from the cross into eternity
Your grace finds me
Yes, Your grace finds me

It's the same for the rich and poor
The same for the saint and for the sinner
Enough for this whole wide world
Your great grace
Oh, such grace  (Matt Redman - Your Grace Finds Me)
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Isaiah 43:24-28The Message (MSG)

22-24 "But you didn't pay a bit of attention to me, Jacob.
    You so quickly tired of me, Israel.
You wouldn't even bring sheep for offerings in worship.
    You couldn't be bothered with sacrifices.
It wasn't that I asked that much from you.
    I didn't expect expensive presents.
But you didn't even do the minimum—
    so stingy with me, so closefisted.
Yet you haven't been stingy with your sins.
    You've been plenty generous with them—and I'm fed up.

25 "But I, yes I, am the one
    who takes care of your sins—that's what I do.
    I don't keep a list of your sins.

26-28 "So, make your case against me. Let's have this out.
    Make your arguments. Prove you're in the right.
Your original ancestor started the sinning,
    and everyone since has joined in.
That's why I had to disqualify the Temple leaders,
    repudiate Jacob and discredit Israel."

No comments: