Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Verse of the Day 9/23

Verse of the Day 9/23
 

2 Corinthians 13:5Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!  English Standard Version (ESV)

Today's comes from yesterday's New Testament read through the Bible plan and comes under the heading "Final Warnings".  This passage is drawing this letter to the Corninthian Church to a close and Paul wants to be sure that his readers will be staying the course.  He does this by challenging them to "examine" and "test" themselves to see if they are truly in the faith.

In preparing for our men's Bible study in John I've read several statements by Jesus where he challenged his disciples.  After saying "I am the resurrection and the life" He asked do you believe this?  He asked Peter 3 times in John 21 - do you love me?  In essence, do you love me more than just a buddy or friend?

The examining of ourselves, the testing, will involve asking ourselves those questions as we read, study and meditate and consider His Word.  If we are not in His Word, will we be asking those questions of ourselves?  When we do ask them we will realize that we need Him.  Don't just "drift along taking everything for granted" (The Message), acknowledge that you need Him.

Lord, I come, I confess
Bowing here I find my rest
Without You I fall apart
You're the One that guides my heart

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God,how I need you.

 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

2 Corinthians 13:5-9The Message (MSG)

5-9 Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it. I hope the test won't show that we have failed. But if it comes to that, we'd rather the test showed our failure than yours. We're rooting for the truth to win out in you. We couldn't possibly do otherwise.
We don't just put up with our limitations; we celebrate them, and then go on to celebrate every strength, every triumph of the truth in you. We pray hard that it will all come together in your lives.

No comments: