Thursday, September 4, 2014

Verse of the Day 9/4

 
2 Timothy 1:13-14 Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14 By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
I received word the other day that Pastor Bill Swanger, one of my former pastors from Illinois had passed away after a battle with cancer.  He was a godly man and served the Lord wholeheartedly through his "retirement" years, never actually retiring, he served as an interim pastor for a number of churches right up to a few months ago.
 
Two different verses that I read today reminded me of him.  The first is today's verse from 1 Timothy where Paul challenges Timothy, a young pastor, to follow the pattern of sound words that he had spoken.  Pastor Bill could say the same thing.  Serving as an interim pastor, Bill often had to deal with difficult situations and divisions.  He used the sound words of scripture to help churches through those tough times of transitions and was a blessing to those he served while doing so.
 
The other verse that I read was from Job 7:6 which said "my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle".  I work for a textile company that weaves fabric.  The weaving process has  not changed significantly in a hundred years, but the speed has.  It seems that way with age.  The years go by quicker and quicker and modern technology has done nothing but speed up that pace.  The key to it is making the most of your time, making each day count.  There was still an urgency to get the Word out, there would be no retiring.  That is something that Bill embodied.  He didn't consider retirement, you wouldn't find him spending his later years collecting sea shells on the beach.  He continued to serve the Lord in ministry through those years.
 
I'll close with quoting today's verses again from The Message.  They are words that Paul said to Timothy and I could see Bill still saying them to those whom he had served.  "So keep at your work, this faith and love rooted in Christ, exactly as I set it out for you. It's as sound as the day you first heard it from me. Guard this precious thing placed in your custody by the Holy Spirit who works in us."  2 Timothy 2:13-14 The Message.
 
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

2 Timothy 1:12-14The Message (MSG)

11-12 This is the Message I've been set apart to proclaim as preacher, emissary, and teacher. It's also the cause of all this trouble I'm in. But I have no regrets. I couldn't be more sure of my ground—the One I've trusted in can take care of what he's trusted me to do right to the end.

13-14 So keep at your work, this faith and love rooted in Christ, exactly as I set it out for you. It's as sound as the day you first heard it from me. Guard this precious thing placed in your custody by the Holy Spirit who works in us.

No comments: