Thursday, July 16, 2015

Verse of the Day 7/16



Proverbs 8:34-35


Blessed is the one who listens to me,
    watching daily at my gates,
    waiting beside my doors.
35 
For whoever finds me finds life
    and obtains favor from the LordEnglish Standard Version (ESV)

 Today's verses come from the book of Proverbs, known as one of the "wisdom books" of the Bible.  Written mainly by Solomon, Proverbs gives practical advice for living.  In reading today's verses a sermon series by Andy Stanley came to mind.  The title of the series was "The Best Question Ever".  The description of the series states, "We never plan to mess up our lives, but unfortunately, we never plan not to.  When making decisions, we should always ask ourselves, in light of my past experiences, my current circumstances, and my future hopes and dreams, what is the wise thing for me to do?"

The series was based on Ephesians 5:15-17.  Verse 17 from The Message states, "17 Don't live carelessly, unthinkingly. Make sure you understand what the Master wants."   A big part, the most important part of doing that is in asking that question what is the wise thing to do?  But it is not done as seeking wisdom from within ourselves, from our own intellect, it is seeking it from the wisdom of God in His Word and through  the guidance of the Holy Spirit as we do so.

This is where today's verses from Proverbs come in, reading, studying and applying God's Word will lead us in the right direction as we go to it and ask "Lord, what is the wise thing to do?"
What decisions do you face today?  They may, or may not be, life changing, but we will be better served by asking that question in the light of God's Word, then to trust and obey.

  1. When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
    What a glory He sheds on our way!
    While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
    And with all who will trust and obey.
    • Refrain:
      Trust and obey, for there's no other way
      To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.
    • Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet,
      Or we'll walk by His side in the way;
      What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
      Never fear, only trust and obey.

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Proverbs 8:32-36The Message (MSG)

32-36 
"So, my dear friends, listen carefully;
    those who embrace these my ways are most blessed.
Mark a life of discipline and live wisely;
    don't squander your precious life.
Blessed the man, blessed the woman, who listens to me,
    awake and ready for me each morning,
    alert and responsive as I start my day's work.
When you find me, you find life, real life,
    to say nothing of God's good pleasure.
But if you wrong me, you damage your very soul;
    when you reject me, you're flirting with death."

No comments: