Thursday, July 2, 2015

Verse of the Day 7/2


Genesis 48:9-10  Joseph said to his father, "They are my sons, whom God has given me here." And he said, "Bring them to me, please, that I may bless them." 10 Now the eyes of Israel were dim with age, so that he could not see. So Joseph brought them near him, and he kissed them and embraced them. English Standard Version (ESV)

Bestowing a blessing upon our children as they come of age is not something as commonly practiced, (perhaps seldom practiced) , in this modern day and age.  I don't know the exact reason for it but it could be simply the  "busyness" of life.  Reading this passage which was referenced in James MacDonald's devotional  this morning brought me to these verses.

My youngest son Jason turns 30 today.  I am proud of his accomplishments being a good husband and father.  I'm also proud of what he has achieved in schooling and moving into his professional career.  In addition, his maturity and attitude in the trials of life have humbled me.  We may not see eye to eye politically and even in some theological perspectives, but I respect his opinions and treasure the times that we have together individually and as a family. 

James MacDonald explains what is taking place in this passage, "The father would call together some of his friends, and they would form a circle around this son or daughter. In bestowing the blessing, a Hebrew dad would speak into the life of his teenager, affirming the child and offering wisdom about life. At the conclusion, the father would awkwardly take the son or daughter up on his shoulders and dance around the room in celebration, saying publicly in front of his peers, "This is my beloved son [or daughter], in whom I am well pleased."  He conitinues, " blessing is parental bestowal of favor, acceptance, and goodwill, rooted in who the person is—not just the child's appearance or accomplishments but in his very personhood. As parents or significant people in a child's life, we can have a powerful ministry by speaking words of blessing."

I will not see Jason until this weekend, and I don't know if I'll be hoisting him on my shoulders, but I would like to say to all, "Jason, you are my beloved son in whom I am well please.  May God's blessing be upon you and your family today and may you be a blessing to  others."

Read the passage below.  If you have not conveyed a blessing upon your children or grandchildren, I hope that you will have the opportunity to do so and take advantage of it.  Jacob thought that he'd lost his son without being able to convey the blessing.  Near the end of his life he was able to see his son again and pass along the blessing to the next generation.

Bless the boys.
May my name be echoed in their lives,
    and the names of Abraham and Isaac, my fathers,
And may they grow
    covering the Earth with their children.  Genesis 49:16 The Message
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Genesis 48:8-16The Message (MSG)

Just then Jacob noticed Joseph's sons and said, "Who are these?"

9-11 Joseph told his father, "They are my sons whom God gave to me in this place."

"Bring them to me," he said, "so I can bless them." Israel's eyesight was poor from old age; he was nearly blind. So Joseph brought them up close. Old Israel kissed and embraced them and then said to Joseph, "I never expected to see your face again, and now God has let me see your children as well!"

12-16 Joseph took them from Israel's knees and bowed respectfully, his face to the ground. Then Joseph took the two boys, Ephraim with his right hand setting him to Israel's left, and Manasseh with his left hand setting him to Israel's right, and stood them before him. But Israel crossed his arms and put his right hand on the head of Ephraim who was the younger and his left hand on the head of Manasseh, the firstborn. Then he blessed them:

The God before whom walked
    my fathers Abraham and Isaac,
The God who has been my shepherd
    all my life long to this very day,
The Angel who delivered me from every evil,
    Bless the boys.
May my name be echoed in their lives,
    and the names of Abraham and Isaac, my fathers,
And may they grow
    covering the Earth with their children.

  

No comments: