Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Verse of the Day 7/21


 

Acts 20:24  But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.  English Standard Version (ESV)

The Apostle Paul had plenty to boast about, if he wanted to, about his life but instead of looking back on accomplishments and seeking accolades, what he wanted most was to finish the race, the course of his life and his ministry well, testifying of the grace of God until that course was finished.

Many people are involved in running a race, but it is a race without a course, without a destination, at least an eternal destination in mind.   Many are running the rat race, lives filled with busyness but no worthwhile goal in mind.  It is a picture of a gerbil on a wheel, spinning and spinning and getting nowhere.

Paul's "course" also involved teaching and preaching about the true course in life.  He knew that he was nearing the end of his course and one thing that he could look back on was that he didn't hold anything back.  He had taught the full, the whole counsel of God (v.27).    John MacArthur notes that  this "whole counsel" was "the entire plan and purpose of God for man's salvation in all its fullness:  divine truths of creation, election, redemption, justification, adoption, conversion, sanctification, holy living, and glorification."

Reading that list should catch our attention.  Once we get past the large theological words, we should ask ourselves "how much do I know about each of these?  How much, how often do I hear these things taught?  How many of them am I comfortable in sharing and talking about?'

Our course in life should involve a course in being taught and passing on the teaching on these subjects.  I still have a lot to learn.  How about you?

May we one day be able to say like Paul, "  I've held nothing back". (v.27) in proclaiming God's the good news.

Give the winds a mighty voice,
  Jesus saves, Jesus saves;
Let the nations now rejoice.
  Jesus saves, Jesus saves;
Shout salvation full and free,
Highest hills and deepest caves,
This our song of victory,
  Jesus saves, Jesus saves.

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at wwwmikesvotd.blogspot.com

Acts 20:24-27The Message (MSG)

22-24 "But there is another urgency before me now. I feel compelled to go to Jerusalem. I'm completely in the dark about what will happen when I get there. I do know that it won't be any picnic, for the Holy Spirit has let me know repeatedly and clearly that there are hard times and imprisonment ahead. But that matters little. What matters most to me is to finish what God started: the job the Master Jesus gave me of letting everyone I meet know all about this incredibly extravagant generosity of God.
25-27 "And so this is good-bye. You're not going to see me again, nor I you, you whom I have gone among for so long proclaiming the news of God's inaugurated kingdom. I've done my best for you, given you my all, held back nothing of God's will for you.

No comments: