Friday, July 31, 2015

Verse of the Day 7/31


Joshua 14:10-11 And now, behold, the Lord has kept me alive, just as he said, these forty-five years since the time that the Lord spoke this word to Moses, while Israel walked in the wilderness. And now, behold, I am this day eighty-five years old.11 I am still as strong today as I was in the day that Moses sent me; my strength now is as my strength was then, for war and for going and coming.  English Standard Version (ESV)

One thing that I have realized over the last few years, especially since I'm well into my 50's, is that I'm  not as young as I used to be and I can't do all of the things that I used to do, at least not at the same level.  How many of us would like to be able to say that we had as much "vigor" at 85 (or even 50) as we did at 40?  Some of the things that helped Joshua were faith, obedience and perseverance.  These are traits that we should all have. 

My mom has been spending some time with us this week and she is preparing to move down to North Carolina in the coming weeks.  It takes courage and faith to pull up and make such a move.  Her strength may not match or come anywhere close to Joshua's as stated here, but her faith and trust in God and His Word can be.

Henry Blackaby writes, "Scripture can be a mighty, awesome weapon in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.  Discouraged people can find hope.  Broken people  can receive healing.  Fearful people can gain courage.  There is too much at stake for us to be careless or ineffective in the way we handle God's Word."  God's Word can help us stand, give us the confidence of Joshua as we face the challenges in life, including aging.

John 14 tells us that God is preparing a place, a house for us in heaven.  I'm reminded of a song by Philips, Craig and Dean, "A Strong Determination"  one of the lines goes like this.
"trust that never dies, courage to forgive and a heart that reconciles, life full of devotion, a faith that won't give up, it takes a strong determination to build a house of love."  Jesus has built that house of love, may we be bold to live with a determination to trust Him and that He will bring us there, standing strong in our faith, like Joshua, no matter how old we are.

My we "stick to our guns, totally with God" (The Message).
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Joshua 14:10-14The Message (MSG)

Caleb

6-12 The people of Judah came to Joshua at Gilgal. Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite spoke: "You'll remember what God said to Moses the man of God concerning you and me back at Kadesh Barnea. I was forty years old when Moses the servant of God sent me from Kadesh Barnea to spy out the land. And I brought back an honest and accurate report. My companions who went with me discouraged the people, but I stuck to my guns, totally with God, my God. That was the day that Moses solemnly promised, 'The land on which your feet have walked will be your inheritance, you and your children's, forever. Yes, you have lived totally for God.' Now look at me: God has kept me alive, as he promised. It is now forty-five years since God spoke this word to Moses, years in which Israel wandered in the wilderness. And here I am today, eighty-five years old! I'm as strong as I was the day Moses sent me out. I'm as strong as ever in battle, whether coming or going. So give me this hill country that Godpromised me. You yourself heard the report, that the Anakim were there with their great fortress cities. If God goes with me, I will drive them out, just asGod said."

13-14 Joshua blessed him. He gave Hebron to Caleb son of Jephunneh as an inheritance. Hebron belongs to Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite still today, because he gave himself totally to God, the God of Israel.

  

No comments: