Monday, July 27, 2015

Verse of the Day 7/27


Psalm 139:17-18 

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
 How vast is the sum of them!
18 
If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
    I awake, and I am still with you.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 

Our family recently spent some time at the beach.  Spending hours there you can watch the tide come in and go out with the surf continually pounding the shore which on the NC coast, is full of sand.   The tiny grains of sand can withstand what the vast power of the ocean can throw at it.

In the ebb and flow of the circumstances the word of God can be like that for us.  Some days things are tranquil while other days the seas are turbulent and the waves of fear and  doubt may try to pound us into submission.  It is in these times that God's word proves strong, a strong defense for us. 

The Bible is vast and it has something for every situation, like sand for every shore, for every storm.

Thomas Brooks writes:
Ah! the Word of the Lord is . . .
  a light to guide you,
  a counselor to counsel you,
  a comforter to comfort you,
  a staff to support you,
  a sword to defend you,
  a physician to cure you!

The Word is . . .
  a mine to enrich you,
  a robe to clothe you,
  a crown to crown you.
  bread to strengthen you,
  wine to cheer you,
  a honeycomb to feast you,
  music to delight you,
  a paradise to entertain you!

Oh! therefore, before all and above all:
  search the Scripture,
  study the Scripture,
  meditate on the Scripture,
  delight in the Scripture,
  treasure up the Scripture!  Thomas Brooks

When we search, study, meditate on, delight in and treasure up the Scripture, God's Word in our hearts it will be there in our hearts and in our minds to helps take the sometimes relentless pounding of the circumstances that the world throws at is throughout our life.

I spent some time visiting with my mom this morning and we went through some devotionals and it helped us to remember how important God's Word is in giving us peace and hope and the grace to move on to whatever we may face next.

My mom and I ended that time in talking about the old hymn "All the Way My Savior Leads Me".  May we all take comfort in God's Word and the hymns that honor and glorify Him.

  1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    What have I to ask beside?
    Can I doubt His tender mercy,
    Who through life has been my Guide?
    Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,
    Here by faith in Him to dwell!
    For I know, whate'er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well;
    For I know, whate'er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well.
  2. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Oh, the fullness of His love!
    Perfect rest to me is promised
    In my Father's house above.
    When my spirit, clothed immortal,
    Wings its flight to realms of day
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way;
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way.



Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 139:17-22The Message (MSG)

17-22 
Your thoughts—how rare, how beautiful!
    God, I'll never comprehend them!
I couldn't even begin to count them—
    any more than I could count the sand of the sea.
Oh, let me rise in the morning and live always with you!
    And please, God, do away with wickedness for good!

No comments: