Thursday, October 29, 2015

Verse of the Day 10/29


Psalm 119:36-37Incline my heart to your testimonies,

    and not to selfish gain!
37 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
    and give me life in your ways.   English Standard Version (ESV)

In yesterday's passage in 1 Timothy Paul instructed Timothy and  us that the "love of money" is the root of evil and that we should flee from evil  and pursue, godliness, follow Jesus' example.  In today's passage the psalmist  asks God "teach me", give me understanding, guide my steps, to turn my heart, to help to turn his eyes from worthless things, and to revive him.

His prayer reveals the heart of someone who wants to be a true God follower.  As we considered yesterday, it requires putting on the full armor of God including the Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.  We wouldn't consider constructing a building without a plan without a blueprint.  God's Word reveals the plans, the blueprint of a life that follows after Jesus.

Pastor James MacDonald writes, "God wrote the blueprint for human life. God Himself authored all the manufacturer's specifications for your happiness. He knows how you're put together. He knows how you work. He knows what will make you happy or miserable. He knows what will satisfy you and bring you joy. He wrote the blueprint for your complete happiness: the Bible.

The blueprint protects us. When we're confronted with a temptation, we should immediately reference the blueprint. "I feel tempted to do _______________, but God's Word says I should do _______________. I choose to follow the blueprint." The power to say no to temptation is the power of the Word of God. If you find yourself in a situation where some temptation is being pressed upon you, don't even try to stand against it yourself. You don't have the power to resist it in your own strength. Use the only offensive weapon in your arsenal: "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

May we hunger for His counsel (V.40 The Message), let His Word be our blueprint to divert our eyes from "toys and trinkets" (The Message) and guide us down   the right path.  May we "love travelling this freeway".   Read the passage from Psalm 119 in The Message below, may it speak to you today.      --   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:33-40The Message (MSG)

33-40 God, teach me lessons for living
    so I can stay the course.
Give me insight so I can do what you tell me—
    my whole life one long, obedient response.
Guide me down the road of your commandments;
    I love traveling this freeway!
Give me a bent for your words of wisdom,
    and not for piling up loot.
Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets,
    invigorate me on the pilgrim way.
Affirm your promises to me—
    promises made to all who fear you.
Deflect the harsh words of my critics—
    but what you say is always so good.
See how hungry I am for your counsel;
    preserve my life through your righteous ways!

  

No comments: