Sunday, October 4, 2015

Verse of the Day 10/4

Verse of the Day 10/4

John 17:17  




Sanctify them by the truth;
Your word is truth.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Just seeing the date "10-4" reminds me of what we often use the phrase "that's a 10/4" for, it is for confirmation of the truth and most often an acknowledgement that you are going to do something.  We've thought a lot about the "truth" statements of Jesus recently and we'll continue to do so.  In today's verse Jesus makes a statement in His prayer in John 17 about what God's Word will do and accomplish in our lives, sanctification.  It will confirm, establish, shape us and help us grow into the people that God wants us to be as we depend upon His Word.  It is a process but one that depends upon the truth, the whole truth,  of God's Word being applied in our lives. 

Jared Waterbury writes, "Bind this precious volume about your neck--write it on the tablets of your heart!
It will prove to be . . .
   your shield in conflict,
   your guide in perplexity,
   your solace in adversity.
If it has been faithfully studied in this life--it will afford themes for heavenly contemplation through eternity.

We should ever approach that Sacred Book with reverence. When we open the Sacred Volume--we listen to the voice of God. Should we not, therefore, give a reverential attention when Jehovah speaks? Should not our posture be that of the deepest humility and awe?

In the written Word, we have God speaking to us as to His children. Go, then, my friend, and diligently listen to the holy oracles. Search the Scriptures. Peruse them systematically. Make them your daily and nightly companions. And may their celestial influence be so infused into your soul--that you shall progressively lose the image of the earthly, and assume the image of the heavenly inhabitants.

Depend upon it, the closer attention you give to the Word--the more precious and interesting will it become, and the more rapidly will you grow in grace "

Andre Crouch, in his song "Through It All" describes this sanctification process through life, depending on His Word.

I've had many tears and sorrows
I've had questions for tomorrow
There've been times I didn't know right from wrong;
But in every situation
God gave blessed consolation
That my trials only come to make me strong
Through it all
Through it all
I've learned to trust in Jesus
I've learned to trust in God
Through it all
Through it all
I've learned to depend upon His Word.

Blessings,
Mike

 Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

John 17:17-19The Message (MSG)

13-19 
Now I'm returning to you.
I'm saying these things in the world's hearing
So my people can experience
My joy completed in them.
I gave them your word;
The godless world hated them because of it,
Because they didn't join the world's ways,
Just as I didn't join the world's ways.
I'm not asking that you take them out of the world
But that you guard them from the Evil One.
They are no more defined by the world
Than I am defined by the world.
Make them holy—consecrated—with the truth;
Your word is consecrating truth.
In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world,
I give them a mission in the world.
I'm consecrating myself for their sakes
So they'll be truth-consecrated in their mission.

No comments: