Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Verse of the Day 8/17


Psalm 55:6-7And I say, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove!

    I would fly away and be at rest;
yes, I would wander far away;
    I would lodge in the wilderness; Selah   English Standard Version (ESV)

  
As I read today's verses in my daily reading in the Psalms, the recent posts of Yosemite came to mind.  The park is vast and if you are willing to hike you can escape the crowds and find peace in the "wilderness", the inner reaches of the park.  In our crazy, fast paced society the cares of this life can wear us out and wear us down and at times we may long for escape, even for a few days of silence to reflect and clear our minds.  (The final words of the verses, "selah" mean to stop and think calmly about that).

We think of doves as calm, slow moving birds, at least when we see them on the ground or perched in a tree, but they are known for quick flight and dart about to escape their enemies.  We may want to quickly take flight from our problems in a zig zagging flight away from it all.

Later in the psalm the psalmist has some better advice for us:

Psalm 55:22Cast your burden on the Lord,

    and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.  English Standard Version (ESV)

While we may take a trip a vacation to temporarily get away from it all, the more practical thing to do is to day by day, cast your burdens on the Lord.  Seek His guidance, trust in His plan, and keep going.

My Old Testament reading this morning was in Deuteronomy 31 where Moses had this to say as he prepared to depart this world, he had some great advice for his people and for us.  It wasn't about escape, but it was "be strong and courageous, for it is the Lord who goes with you".

Deuteronomy 31:6  Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you."   English Standard Version (ESV)

What will you choose today, to take flight, or to cast your burden on the Lord and be "strong and courageous" in Him.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 55:6-8The Message (MSG)

4-8 My insides are turned inside out;
    specters of death have me down.
I shake with fear,
    I shudder from head to foot.
"Who will give me wings," I ask—
    "wings like a dove?"
Get me out of here on dove wings;
    I want some peace and quiet.
I want a walk in the country,
    I want a cabin in the woods.
I'm desperate for a change
    from rage and stormy weather.

  

No comments: